Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zee

Drift Sock Advice?

8 posts in this topic

This is probably a total newb question, but here goes...

My first trip out in my new yak (Heritage Redfish 10) was pretty much light wind and gentle current. No real problems. No real fish either, but thats different thread.....

My second trip, it was windy as hell with lots of current. Needless to say, I spent WAY more time paddling, positioning and RE-positioning than I did fishing. I doubt I made more than 3 consecutive casts all day without working the paddle.

Granted, I am very new at this so I probably made a lot of mistakes that have nothing to do with the wind, BUT...is this the type of situation that calls for a "drift sock?"

I hear them referenced in these forums, but I am not sure of exactly how they work and what they are for. I know they are basically little parachutes that you attach to the yak while drifting. Do they slow your drift or merely keep your yak straighter within the drift? Should I pick buy one? Do they come in different sizes and shapes? If so, how do I choose (I am 5'11" 168 lbs, if that makes a difference).

Thanks for any insight!!!!

Z

WHat was the biggest issue? Were you getting spun around a lot, or just drifting too fast? A drift chute will slow you down.

a drift sock will deff slow you down alot, but not completely of course.. i would youtube kayak drift sock, see how they rig it on there yaks and take it from there.. its deff a life saver sometimes

i asked the same question at west marine today. i wanted to know if they slow you down or if it keepa you straight. i fish the merrimack river alot with heravy current. i know they work well in windy situations. will the current of the river speed me up or will the drift sock slow me down so the river doesnt move me as quickly.

View PostI would also suggest an anchor trolly in conjunction with the sock. That way you can approach your drift from the most appropriate angle.

could you elaborate on this ? I'm missing your point

Attach to the sock line to an anchor trolly. Moving the trolly forward or aft changes the angle of your boat. This allows you to cast from the most appropriate angle to the situation.

I use the sock when drift fishing for fluke. It mainly helps to take the wind out of the equation and to drift at a somwhat slow speed depending on current. If you are sight casting it would be more of an annoyance than helpful.

It took me a couple of weeks to get used to casting out of the yak and positioning the boat where it would stay put for a bit of time to allow for some casts.