Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JT5282

Got a nice tarpon today. Here are a couple of pictures

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I was practice fishing for the upcoming shark, stingray, catfish tournament and next thing ya know, my line starts screaming out, I tighten up on my 14/0 circle hook [large mullet head for bait] and 6' in the air is a 100+ lb tarpon!

I had a 4/0 penn with 30lb big game line.

Took about 22 minutes to get it boatside.

FUN STUFF!

Nice fish - it looks like something hit it on its flank, although it's hard to tell (on the side facing up, but close to where the tail end of the fish is in the water)

I caught it near the Venice Bridge.

The spot on it's side is a missing scale or 2.

I believe the few tarpon [compared to the many at Boca Grande] that come into Lemon Bay, do so to heal away from the many sharks at Boca.

View PostNice fish - it looks like something hit it on its flank, although it's hard to tell (on the side facing up, but close to where the tail end of the fish is in the water)

That or someone else took one of his scales for a trophy reminder. I think it was a common habit guides are trying to get rid of down there. Its very bad for the fish.

Nice catch JT!

View PostThat or someone else took one of his scales for a trophy reminder. I think it was a common habit guides are trying to get rid of down there. Its very bad for the fish.

Nice catch JT!

Along with lip gaffs. cwm13.gif

JT,

Not trying to bust your balls but for those that do not know, it is illegal in the state of Florida to remove a tarpon from the water as shown in these pics unless you have a "kill permit". This is also true for jewfish/goliath grouper.

BTW, nice catch.

JT,

Not trying to bust your balls but for those that do not know, it is illegal in the state of Florida to remove a tarpon from the water as shown in these pics unless you have a "kill permit". This is also true for jewfish/goliath grouper.

I have seen this misunderstanding everywhere. You can take the fish out of the water for safety reasons. Here is a response from FWC.

"Rules pertaining to Tarpon do not in fact explicitly prohibit anglers from bringing these species into the boat. Unless the angler has obtained a tarpon tag and intends to the keep the fish, there is no reason to bring the fish into the boat. However, if it is safer for the fish and the angler to bring the fish into the boat in order to remove the hook, the rules do not prohibit that activity. We understand and appreciate that anglers like to photograph their catch and FWC rules do not prohibit that activity. But this must be done is such as a way to allow the fish to be released immediately and unharmed back into the water. When abiding by these rules, common sense must be applied and law enforcement officers are trained to use their best judgment in enforcing these regulations. If there is a question on whether or not to boat a fish, it is generally best to leave the fish in the water and remove the hook if possible. The Division of Law Enforcement has put out a statement on this topic that pertains to tarpon. http://myfwc.com/docs/2007_Goliath_Grouper_Conservation_2.pdf"

Besides, I have caught a couple from shore, both jetty and the beach. I would never try to unhook a tarpon on the jetty in the waterkooky.gif. Its just using common sense. Great catch, I miss those fish.