Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ketch69

Casting distance with plugs

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

My son and I are gonna fish for Stripers from the surf in Virginia and North Carolina this fall and winter. We have bought a few plugs to try but before I spend a lot of money on them I was wondering which certain ones will cast the best since casting distance will be a issue? I am thing plugs like weighted needles and pencils will do well. Your thoughts please.

DEAN

Creek Chub Striper strike 3 1/2 ------4 1/4 inch they fly good . And like you mentioned above pencil popper Metals 1--- 2 oz Kastmaster, Krocodile, Hopkins

With a conventional reel, I always have some bucktails handy. And a pork trailer.

I don't like pencils with a conventional. Storm shads, work well for a conventional setup. too. smile.gif

My son and I are gonna fish for Stripers from the surf in Virginia and North Carolina this fall and winter. We have bought a few plugs to try but before I spend a lot of money on them I was wondering which certain ones will cast the best since casting distance will be a issue? I am thing plugs like weighted needles and pencils will do well. Your thoughts please.

Your distance will be optimized with choosing the correct size plug range in combo with your gear. I know I wouldn't look to get 125 yards with a 4+ OZ plug on a GSB132L. Look at how many SOL members have Ron Arra's that broke from over loading. I'm going to assume that your using a spinner. Not wanting to spend a lot of cash, you can't go wrong with having a few super strikes in the 2 3/8 oz range, Yosuri's in the 3oz range, Gag's in the 2-3 oz range, any Atoms or any of the Tsunami line. These plugs cast like rockets with the proper setup. Yosuri's are not cheap...... They get real ugly..... But that's when they get more hits and catch more fish.

Remember that you don't want to overcast the fish. Most of the large stripers caught on plugs do not command crazy distance.

Plugs I mentioned might be considered "plugs that work on a budget". I'm a plug addict and exclusively plug. Metals are not plugs. If your going out.....you better have some with you. Sometimes that's all a striper will go after.

View PostMy son and I are gonna fish for Stripers from the surf in Virginia and North Carolina this fall and winter. We have bought a few plugs to try but before I spend a lot of money on them I was wondering which certain ones will cast the best since casting distance will be a issue? I am thing plugs like weighted needles and pencils will do well. Your thoughts please.

Your distance will be optimized with choosing the correct size plug range in combo with your gear. I know I wouldn't look to get 125 yards with a 4+ OZ plug on a GSB132L. Look at how many SOL members have Ron Arra's that broke from over loading. I'm going to assume that your using a spinner. Not wanting to spend a lot of cash, you can't go wrong with having a few super strikes in the 2 3/8 oz range, Yosuri's in the 3oz range, Gag's in the 2-3 oz range, any Atoms or any of the Tsunami line. These plugs cast like rockets with the proper setup. Yosuri's are not cheap...... They get real ugly..... But that's when they get more hits and catch more fish.

Remember that you don't want to overcast the fish. Most of the large stripers caught on plugs do not command crazy distance.

Plugs I mentioned might be considered "plugs that work on a budget". I'm a plug addict and exclusively plug. Metals are not plugs. If your going out.....you better have some with you. Sometimes that's all a striper will go after.

Which Yo Zuri's are thinking of in the 3 oz range?

Those nice BIG poppers that kind of look like Coke bottles?drool.gif

Pay less attention to distance and more to selecting plugs that catch fish, particularly at night.

Many of the plugs mentioned are good casters but don't produce well in the dark.

I have some metal and plan on getting more ans have bucktails also. I will be throwing conventional outfits mostly. I just purchase a Rainshadow RS1266 blank at a very good deal that I plan on trying to wrap myself to be my plug rod. It is rated at 2-4oz so it should do the trick.

DEAN

If you are looking now for the fall you are in luck. I would actually expirement some with the tackle you have and a few different weight plugs. It was mentioned before that matching the plug weight to your rod is key and I agree 100%.

When I first started to use plugs and got more serious with them I just practiced with different ones until I got the technique down. I do believe some may cast better than others but technique is key in casting.

View PostIf you get a chance, give one of the Ocean Lures Wounded Bunkers a try.

They cast like crazy & catch!

No affiliation, just experience.

I have the bottom one: heart.gifdrool.gificon14.gif