Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bass-o-matic

Optics Recommendations

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a Beretta CX-4 Storm .40 S&W. I'm looking to put a red dot sight on it. I thinking either Trijicon Reflex or an EOtech A552. Any recommendations?

my choice would be the aimpoint comp. it's perfect for a home defense carbine like the beretta storm.

the eotech is a nice optic ... very quick to acquire target. however, it's not as mechanically reliable as the battle-proven aimpoint. they break rather easily.

the trijicon acog is nice, but relative to an older aimpoint comp, it's awful expensive.

i've tried all three running a live-fire shoothouse ... at night ... on various carbines including the beretta storm (weird ergos if you're used to an MP5 or an M4 btw). you can't go wrong with an older series aimpoint comp.

go to larue tactical for package mount and optic deals.

-fww

Not a fan. I don't like psuedo carbines in handgun calibers. If you want the real deal, build up an AR15/M4 and get a decent handgun. In tight quarters and awkward positions, it's hard to beat a reliable handgun. My choice.. a 1911 in .45 and a Ruger SP101 in 357 Mag with Crimson Trace.

I agree with FWW about the Aimpoint. Many of the guys I shot with at Blackwater were running EO's and almost all had some trouble with and using them. Of course, I prefer irons. They always work. biggrin.gif

View Postmy choice would be the aimpoint comp. it's perfect for a home defense carbine like the beretta storm.

the eotech is a nice optic ... very quick to acquire target. however, it's not as mechanically reliable as the battle-proven aimpoint. they break rather easily.

the trijicon acog is nice, but relative to an older aimpoint comp, it's awful expensive.

i've tried all three running a live-fire shoothouse ... at night ... on various carbines including the beretta storm (weird ergos if you're used to an MP5 or an M4 btw). you can't go wrong with an older series aimpoint comp.

go to larue tactical for package mount and optic deals.

-fww

I agree about the Acog. I was thinking about the Reflex. Any experience with them?

View PostI agree about the Acog. I was thinking about the Reflex. Any experience with them?

i'm biased towards the aimpoint.

i've had no problem with the trijicon reflex sights i've tried (equivalent to taking one or two casts with a friend's rod), but with the trijicon reflex sight (like the eotech) is that you need to check it out and make sure you're happy with the illumination (esp. in the dark).

some people like it, some people don't. try to ogle one if you can.

one more thing. if you are getting a RD sight, you will need a laser boresighter. regular collimators won't work. lb's are cheap enough now, and will save you some serious aggravation and ammo cost.

i would set your combat zero (point of aim = point of impact) at 25 yards for a pistol caliber carbine. adjust your hold accordingly for closer-in.

if you are using iron sights, or BUIS, then zero your irons first at 25 yards, then bring your red dot into line with your irons, if you have a good co-witness.