Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishdoctor

Duo Locks?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Have been mainly tying directly for a long time.

Probably know the answer, but I want to change out alot this weekend going from stripers to fluke etc, will the duo locks screw up my catch ratio by any degree?

Using 50 pound test duo locks? I am assuming with fluke they really do not care, stripers maybe.

I was always was taught to tie direct so maybe I am paranoid?

I fish them, but can tell you that they do have a way of bending out of shape when you combine a decent fish (talking fluke not bass), braid and a snug drag. At least the 40# ones do.

OK

It is what I thought. I have hardware issues. Maybe there is a support crew for someone like me.

I'll look at those Breakaway clips.

I have the 50 pound duo lock clips so we'll see if they bend. Just plan to plug hour after first light and then fluke fish in NoMoCo out front.

Never caught a 40# fluke :-)

I usually tie direct for fluke. Do a search on the Duo's and you'll come up with the way Tim S modifies them. I like them-BUT I haven't caught any of the large described on this site.

Had plenty of stripers between 20-30# in the rocks at IRI and never had a problem.

Breakaways a nice and strong-easy to use- BUT if your leader gets the least amount of play in it where its tied to the clip -it can turn. When that happens you can lose a lure during a cast or lose a fish. (experience taught me that)

Before anybody jumps on that-I own the user error part.

View PostNever had a problem with breakaways turning or opening and I've used them for a few years now.

I've never had an issue with breakaways either- I recommend them for all my artificial fishing duties!

Was looking in an old Milt Rosco book and apparently that was the rig everyone was using, dropper loop with swivel in the middle, short line to teaser duolock and long one to plug duolock. I have been tying direct so long anyway though why not continue. Companies need money for leader material and I have been using fluorocarbon, its only money right, ha, ha, ha

Attached photo (pardon the flash glare) is a couple of 40-50# (grabbed it from the drawer, not sure which) Duo-Locks.

One on right is new and looks like it should. One on left is new, but just subjected to a straight line 15# pull and a yank or two to simulate a head shake. Note the deformation.

I use them ('cause I'm basically lazy), but I don't trust them completely... especially not with braid and only a 2-3' mono leader. No exaggeration here, I had 4 of them open up this weekend on fluke that didn't get bigger than 24".

Of course, I fish ridiculously tight drags - too tight in most folks opinion, although I really never break line or snap a rod - I just bend a lot of duo-locks. Loose drag and mono... or just loose drag and you'll probably be fine.

Change to paperclips. The best part about them is that you don't have to turn on your headlamp to change lures (try it next time, it's much easier than you think)

Yeh, I know but I like the fluorocarbon's stiffness and you never know. The leader material I am talking about is tying and retying not actually having one.

Will probably try the duolocks just because I am going to be changing alot, will definitely look at the breakaway clips.

I'll allow a little drag, too, just in case.

Keep with tying direct. Loop knot gives better action and those duo locks, well the ones I used got twisted bad by bluefish in the 5-8lb class. Think the snaps were rated to 40-50# and they bent like nothing.