Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
High Plains Drifter

ANOTHER photo of the Penn Torque

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

The reel looks like a ad for the Bruins. Just give a $30 garage sale 704Z. I will clean it up with new drags and know it still has another 25 years of life left in it!40.gif

HPD, what does a continuously drawn out bail mean?

Is titainium all that much more costly that they used steel? I dont recall, is this a manual bail or auto?

TBD

TBD what he means is that the bail arm is "once piece" to the line roller instead of being "bail wire -> to roller block-> to line roler bearing -> sleeve

Its a continous bail wire that pans out into the roller block.

Looks sweet...

I'm really glad that they are taking notes...

The reel is coming along nicely,

Bravo Penn!

View PostHPD, what does a continuously drawn out bail mean?

Is titainium all that much more costly that they used steel? I dont recall, is this a manual bail or auto?

TBD

It's supposed to be switchable between manual operation and automatic closure--probably has some spring loaded mechanism that holds the internal trip down for manual-only operation.

View Post

I'm really glad that they are taking notes...

They are, but they aren't.

The reel looks like what an Engineer that doesn't really surfcast would come up with if someone dropped a VS and a ZB on their desk and told them to whip up an equivalent in CAD.

I've been staring at it for awhile. Aesthetically I keep coming to the same conclusion; it's ugly. It's way too angular and lacks symmetry.

What I think Penn needed to do was to take the classics and design from there; look at what the guys with the ancient Greenies and Z's have done to them, what they don't like about them but will overlook for the decades they've been fishing them and fix those issues and do a 2.0 version.

Penn didn't invent the wheel, but they made a great one, good enough to still be used today. Why they're failing to grasp this concept is a travesty to surfcasting. Make them in China, make them in Japan, Korea, Indonesia, whatever. But at least try and pretend like you remember SOMETHING from when you owned the market part and parcel and work from there.

*shrugs*

I've been buying up 704's and 710's for awhile now. I'll probably keep doing that until someone gets it right.

View PostHPD, what does a continuously drawn out bail mean?

TBD

Titanium is much more expensive than steel, but it has a number of properties, characteristics, that make it a better choice for a reel that will see heavy duty use. Titanium alloys are more corrosion, resistant, lighter, stronger, and not as susceptible to being bent out of shape (ex. eyeclass frames).

i'm looking forward to these new reels from Penn... lets see if they really deliver....

while a continuous bail wire is nice'n fancy, i'm going to have to see how it really handles in my applications compared to the VS's, ZB's, and Stella's of the world....

in truth the final product they ship in December 2009 could be NOTHING like what we're seeing now.... they're floating these pics now to fine tune their design and get consumer sentiment.... i really think they should hire an APPLE designer for a week to balance out the aesthetics on this reel....