Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Space Heaters

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I didn't lose power during the blizzard just past, so stayed nice and warm (when not shoveling.) If the power'd gone off, it would've gotten chilly in a hurry. Are there any space heaters that are safe in a home without pre-installed ventilation?

just the electric ones bud them oil filled dealys,i hate the little coil fan ones.kerosene camp heaters suck as they gas ya out.propane dealys knock ya out.woodstove man woodstove.only way ta go for a backup.

Brian,

I use a turkey cooker. One of the little radiant propane heaters may be more efficient but the turkey cooker will put out a lot of heat plus you can cook on it while the power is out and use it to deep fry turkeys, melt lead for pouring jigs, steam sweet corn, crabs and lobsters, and whatever else the rest of the year. Buy two of the gas bottles and you've got enough fuel to heat a room for a couple of days at least. Make sure you crack a window to give it and you oxygen.

I suppose the propane does put some bad stuff in the air but a whole lot less than kerosene and IMO not enough to cause serious health concerns if just used on an emergency basis.

Freezing verses kero/propane (slight odor)= I have a kero now, would prefer propane, but have only had to use it once in the past 8 years, but that lasted 9 days cwm24.gif

The newer, freestanding fireplaces are great. Inexpensive/easy to install yourself. A buddy of mine uses 2 of them in conjunction with a nice wood stove. Uses the propane when he's not home/to lazy to fetch firewood. I have gone in this winter after they have been running for days, with "no" notice of odor, and these are "non" vented.

If I lived further north, all of these things (heat, electric, etc) would be a primary concern for me. My parents are the ones that used my kero heater for 9 days, losing food from 3 freezers, 2 frigs, not to mention frozen pipes, and sheetrock repair. Suggested a generator, doing most of the work myself, and including electric start generator, wiring box, concrete slab and enclosure to match house, about $12-1400.....add $300 for electrician. Not bad for total piece of mind, and forget all the space heaters and such. But, they did like most, lived through it, it got warm, never got around to it rolleyes.gif

I know this is more expensive but if you are concerned about the fumes then what about a standby generator? Would a relatively small one be able to run your heat source with circulators/blowers?

Yup ...stanby power is the way to go!

But a generator setup might be just a little expensive for occasional use, and if not used regularly (e.g. fire drill) it might not work when you need it most!

I have a small Coleman catalytic heater which cost $60 and runs on $2 tanks of Propane. A tank lasts about 5 hours. It heats a small area, and runs out of fuel before Carbon Monoxide becomes a problem.

At 850 degrees, combustion is not a problem, so it isn't a fire hazard either. It's designed to use inside a tent. It might not keep the house warm, but it sure keeps YOU warm.

------------------

Ammodyte <*)(((((((((((((((((((><

(The angler formerly known as "Flounder")

Flounder - I helped design the catalyst for that heater (well not the catalyst formulation itself, but the manufacuring techniques)....smile.gif.....carbon monoxide would NEVER be a problem unless you did something to de-activate the catalyst.

It's kinda funny you mention the tent, cause when we were testing the design, we had set up a tent in the R&D lab and ran the heater in that, and then would draw samples from the enclosed tent and run them thru our GC to see what, if any, pollutants it had produced.

just lost furnace a night got these little 12"x 12" space heaters at grossmans outlet...I got 3 of them for the whole house ,,one was in the basement...They seemed lame..Woke up 1:00 am the house was 80 degrees worked pissa...look out for that other stuff that throws carbon monoxide...

Go off the grid - Vermont Castings woodstove - heated my whole house(two story, three room deep, old brick, plaster and no insulation) this year with it and some small eletric baseboard heaters in the farthest rooms to equalize the temps. I did use four cords of wood already though.

I just installed a simple propane heater in my garage. It's a blue flame, 30,000 btu, wall mounted and ventless 18in wide x 30in long x 4 in deep. Cost for heater $139 cost for 40lb propane tank with regulator and 25ft of hose $100.....In an emergency I can mount it in my living room in about 5 min (2 screws in wall)

------------------