Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Sanibel Sharkin' - any tips?

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

In watching some videos of guys fishing down Sanibel Island, it appears that they break out the (very) large Penn Senator conventional reels and kayak the bait out while they fish from shore...I'm not going to be doing that. I have my 30 year old Penn 850SS with 50 lb Spiderwire Stealth. I don't think I care if I can't land that 500 lb tiger shark...If I can get some 20-40 lb blacktips, sandtigers, or (gasp) even nurse sharks, I'll be happy enough.

Has there been any kind of a decent bite lately? And are there any pointers you guys have?

View PostIn watching some videos of guys fishing down Sanibel Island, it appears that they break out the (very) large Penn Senator conventional reels and kayak the bait out while they fish from shore...I'm not going to be doing that. I have my 30 year old Penn 850SS with 50 lb Spiderwire Stealth. I don't think I care if I can't land that 500 lb tiger shark...If I can get some 20-40 lb blacktips, sandtigers, or (gasp) even nurse sharks, I'll be happy enough.

Has there been any kind of a decent bite lately? And are there any pointers you guys have?

I was plugging around Bunch beach today, standing on a flat waist deep water and had 2 Bonnet Heads to 3' follow the plug right up to my feetcwm31.gif. Thank god they were Bonnets and not Bulls, I was about 300yds from shore casting at the nervous bait schools. You can do some sharking from shore with you 850ss no problem, your size of your bait dictates the size you catch. If you need anything while you are down here call me beers.gif