Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Effing drying motor crap

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

NAry a day goes by where something stiupid doesnt' happen. TOday I put epoxy on 4 rods, the final coat of finish on that Bright Orange rod. Everything was dandy and sweet, I had no idea yo' I was in for a treat.

Come upstairs to waste some time on teh phone & internet, go back down 90 minutes later. Why are the guides sitting still? no, you gotta be kidding. Unfreaking believable, the motor konked out. Fortunately I only had finish on the Dec WRap, and on teh tie off for cork tape, so that is the only place I have icicles to cut off. IT's great, 4 prior coats of finish and everything looked good, now I'm going to end up cutting the stalagmites off, putting a coat of finish, sanded it down, and put another coat, maybe 2 of finish. Yippee!!

I know everyone has this happen from time to time, and it's always the worst possible time for it to happen. But damn, this was the last thing I needed to deal with on this particular rod.

On my second rod ever I had something similar happen. I had put it on the dryer and put the last coat of epoxy on it. One of my kids was playing around and knocked it off of the dryer by accident and decided the best thing to do was not tell me. As the rod spun in the dryer chuck the end of the rod wondered over towards the edge of my bench. Eventually one of the guides kept hitting the bench as it rotated, knocking it loose and ruining the guide wrap. Along my butt wrap something rubbed against my tie off and eventually unwrapped it. My deco wrap did not come loose, because I had a very light coat of epoxy on it, but my whole week was ruined after that.

Been there...highfive.gif

My dryer is plugged into an UPS. Though it doesn't prevent catastrophic motor failure, if the power goes out, which it does often by me, I get a couple hours of protection. Perhaps it's time to get a couple gerbils, a wheel, a belt, and an overrunning clutch attached to your drying motor...icon14.gif

IT's amazing how fast Threadmaster gets hard in the summer sitting 3" from Halogen bulbs. Applied first abortion coat at 9:30. Realized I was screwed at 11. At noon I took a fresh razorblade, cleaned it well with alcohol, and sliced off all the iciles, as well as all of teh uneven finish on one side of teh rod. PRety much I cut off about 1 1/2 CC's of finish. Applied second coat of finish at 12:30, and only have one area that looks screwed up, so not as bad as I had thought.

While it sucks, I did learn how quickly the finish sets up, adn that I probably only need to leave my motors on for 90 minutes with straight TM, instead of 4 hours. IT also will allow me to put 4 coats of finish on in one day, instead of over the course of 2 days. SO at least I gained something from it.

Billy are you using TM hi build or are you still mixing it with aftcoat? I have had good sucess with teh TM hi build but usually have to mix two batches to coat a 13' surf rod, going to play with mixing it with the TM lite and see how much that prolongs my work time

On wraps I only use TM Hi. that get beat up do so in front of the foregrip, usually from teh rod bouncing around on the rail. TM is harder than any other finish that stays lear, and it sets up quickly so I dont' have to worry about accidentailly touching it and screwing it up., As I jsut learned, it sets up quicker than I thought.

AS you do more rods, you'll get used to applying finish and get quicker at it. TM sets up very quickly when it's warm, and takes a lot longer when the temps drop, right now I am mixing 3CC's of hardener/resin TM, and coating 3 or 4 rods with wraps on them - wraps only. TEH last wrap the finish does start to get thick, but once it's on teh rod and hit with Propane it gets clear.

Finishing is a work in progress with me. I kinda effed up Tylers first wrap with my crappy epoxy job, but its not terrible. After finding a epoxy that I could work with it made a difference, that and not using medical grade syringes, that silicone really messed me up. I soak them in denatured alchohol before using now. Every finish I apply gets a little better, so in a year or 2 I should be okcwm27.gif

I once had a rod on the dryer and somehow a thread from a spool on the shelf above fell off the shelf and hit a sticky part of the finish on the crosswrap. That single thread stuck there and as the dryer motor turned , it just pulled thread off the spool from above just as it would from a spool on the thread carriage. The next morning I looked at it and there was a 3 inch wad of thread about 4 inches wide built up really sloppy onto the cross wrap. What a mess getting the thread off and repairing where it had dug into the finish.

One of the cardinal rules of rod building....Anything that can go wrong eventually will go wrong at some time.