Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dalelin

rusty gas tank

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Take the tank off and drop a hand full of screws and carefully shake. This will remove the rust. There is a product called Kreme to reline the inside of the tank. I used this process with an old Harley I restored and it worked great. Just do a google search for Kreme you will find it.

Screamindrag has got it right did same thing ,depending on size of tank I used some lug nuts ,I also rinsed out tank once twice ,then shook it up some more , lined tank and no problems

Tractor is a 1951 8N Ford. I do use an inline filter. Long story, but the tractor got left out in the snow last Winter (covered by a tarp) with a cracked fuel bowl (that I found out about in the Spring). All the gas leaked out and left an empty tank that rusted. New tank is about $130 or so. Looked at a couple of used ones, but they were rusty. Easiest way out seems to be refurbishing the one I have. Rust is clogging the screen filter leading to the fuel bowl.

BTW, this is my new tractor. I swapped a '39 9N for it.

View PostTractor is a 1951 8N Ford. I do use an inline filter. Long story, but the tractor got left out in the snow last Winter (covered by a tarp) with a cracked fuel bowl (that I found out about in the Spring). All the gas leaked out and left an empty tank that rusted. New tank is about $130 or so. Looked at a couple of used ones, but they were rusty. Easiest way out seems to be refurbishing the one I have. Rust is clogging the screen filter leading to the fuel bowl.

BTW, this is my new tractor. I swapped a '39 9N for it.

i lusted after a 1950 fergie where i used to work, but they wouldn't part with it, even though they have 2