Followers 0
pierfisherman

Pliers over $100?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I will say its nice not having to wash or maintain titanium pliers

You'd think a chinese outfit would have knocked off the VS pliers by now

I got mine used

I'm not sure. If I had the cash, I would definitely buy the VS titaniums. The piece of mind would be nice, as well as not having to worry about cleaning.

But in reality, I have the Browning pliers now, 3 seasons almost, getting close to time for new cutters, but otherwise they are still perfect. I rinse them every trip or so, and once every couple of weeks they get a little WD.

I think I paid like $35 from BPS for them, so the way I see it is if they fail tomorrow (unlikely), I've paid about $10/year. Really they probably have another couple of seasons left in them. It will take a lot of years for the Van Staals to pay for themselves at that rate.

to some fisherman, part of the sport is buying high end gear they can afford.

the world goes round and so do the fine folks in it.

TBD

I bought 3 pairs of the Brownings because they were on sale. If I was single and didn't have kids, I would splurge on some titaniums. I guess if you have the money, why not spend it. Look at the million dollar Mercedes, nobody needs it, but people buy it.

View PostI bought 3 pairs of the Brownings because they were on sale. If I was single and didn't have kids, I would splurge on some titaniums. I guess if you have the money, why not spend it. Look at the million dollar Mercedes, nobody needs it, but people buy it.

I wish I had done the same. They're back to full price again.

I own a bunch of Knipex tools. They have great tools. Made in Germany.

IMHO this has to be the best wire cutters out there...

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1...7&groupID=1473

I did not know these were available until I used a friend's cutters at a casting session.

I could cut all 4 legs off of my wire lead with one stroke. Amazing.. I was sold and I bought one today.

New one to my arsenal..

DSC05959.jpg

DSC05958.jpg

If you buy them once, you will never need to buy them again. It's just like spending $500+ on a reel or a rod. Not to mention, stripers love a good looking surfcaster!

The reason I bought my Accurates was when I posted on SOL that was the pair most recommended by the crowd I was using braid at the time and cutting that stuff is impossible I bought something a little more pricey than some guys would go But on the other hand I would never post why do people buy pliers under 100 dollars I see guys walking the beach with custom rods that cost triple what my rod is worth I see guys with reels that cost eight times what my what I paid for mine.They want to buy quality equipment That is there prerogative. Some people by the Chevrolet Aveo which retails for 12,000$$ some a Rolls Royce which is a little more.

When you're out fishing alot of things can fail and you "make do" with what you have. I've personally cobbled together leaders with some innovative knots from leftover shredded parts, revived reels from the dead a solid half mile out on the Flats, etc.

Pliers are one of those things that when you need them, there's very little around that will be able to be a substitute for them. And typically when a cheap pair goes, repairing them on the spot just isn't possible...it will require a Dremel or any number of tools to get them back in working order.

My Abel's were a gift. I can't say that if I were looking to buy a pair I would own them, but likely I could see myself looking within that price range.

Nothing makes me laugh more than a guy with a hook in his hand, which his $200 titanium pliers can't cut cwm27.gifkooky.gif

I own $800 reels and $400 rods. I use Manley pliers. They do everything that a $200 pair does, and more---they'll cut the shank of a 6x strong treble when they have to---and more than once wink.gif

I have a $3 pair of Fiskar's kids' scissors to cut braid.

View PostIf you buy them once, you will never need to buy them again. It's just like spending $500+ on a reel or a rod. Not to mention, stripers love a good looking surfcaster!

Where can they be purchased in the New England area?

Does anyone else use nail clippers to cut braid?

I don't have anything to cut my hooks in my bag - an issue I ned to soon rectify - but I use a set of nail clippers to cut the braid and a pair of needle nose plyers I use to get hooks out of the fishes. Spary them down with corrision block or 6-56 lube and they are good to go.