Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

So, Did I Ever Tell Ya That Lawns Are Evil?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Yeah, I guess I have, but this is not truly about that per se (kinda, though)....

After about two months of letting it go, I finally decided to mow at least part of the lawn (read: FOREST) today (the rest will be tomorrow). Since the regular mower is still dead and I haven't had time to fix it, I dug out the DR Trimmer from under a bunch of junk and pine cones in the shed.

Although I haven't used this thing in about three-four years, and it has been neglected with gas left in it, sitting in snow and rain that gets into the shed, etc, after I got it out, dusted it off a bit, put some more gas in it, it started on the very first pull without doing anything else to it (go figure, this thing is neglected and hardly ever used and rusty, and the mower that I use and somewhat take care of won't start.....shakehead.gif )

So, I start mowing, and I had forgotten that this thing is about the LOUDEST yard care machine I ever used. But it makes quick work of the two+ foot high grass, even though it leaves "hay" behind that I am gonna have to either rake or hopefully get the mower going and go over to mulch and bag it.

Aside from being loud, you almost have to wear full body armor when using it. (For those that don't know, a DR Trimmer is like a big weed whacker on wheels). Of course, me, being a fool that I sometimes am, was out using it in shorts and sneakers redface.gif, and let's just say I am covered in grass clippings, dirt, sand, and a few small pebbles half embedded in my legs. Also have a nice bruise from one larger stone that was launched right at my ankle.

So just a heads up......if you use one of these things, take pre-cautions.....safety glasses are a must (at least I was smart enough to put those on), and heavy jeans (or even chafes) are recommended....and ear protection wouldn't be a bad idea, either.......

Oh, and with the grass being about 2 feet high, I just picked two ticks off my calfs.....gotta go check for more.........

I TOLD you lawns are evil.....worst part is, I think it looked better as a hay field.......wink.gif

I have a DR Trimmer and have also found it to be unkillable.

But I have found a better way to keep the fields trimmed and fertilized. Alpacas llamas and goats are used in a three prong approach.

Cool....smile.gif....Donna loves goats, and has often asked me to get a few (but she has ulterior motives, cause she like goat's milk and goat's cheese), but for various reasons, where we live, although semi-rural, it would be difficult if not impossible.....frown.gif

View PostCool....smile.gif....Donna loves goats, and has often asked me to get a few (but she has ulterior motives, cause she like goat's milk and goat's cheese), but for various reasons, where we live, although semi-rural, it would be difficult if not impossible.....frown.gif

Their meat is awesome as well...a nice dry rub drool.gif

View PostCool....smile.gif....Donna loves goats, and has often asked me to get a few (but she has ulterior motives, cause she like goat's milk and goat's cheese), but for various reasons, where we live, although semi-rural, it would be difficult if not impossible.....frown.gif

I haven't gotten into the milking, once you start you are committed to do it twice a day ad infinitum. I did visit a local farmer last week that makes some incredible goat cheeses. I'm content to purchase what I need for now.

Eight goats, two alpacas, a llama, four dogs, a dozen chickens and tending a 30 X 60 garden takes up enough of my "leisure" time.

Tell Donna that goats are the houdini's of the animal kingdom and require the equivalent of a maximum security lockdown to keep them contained. Figuring out fencing that works was a learning experience.

But they are cute, mine are all dwarfs. Fully grown they range from 50-75 lbs. The one below was about 4 months old and has blue eyes.

Okay, just a few things....

First, Steve, I'm trying to plan out the rest of my week so I need to know how many pages this thread is gonna run. And will there be pictures?

Tales and Lies from Steve's Evil Forest?

Also, it "Chaps". Not "chafes". Chafes are what ya get working too long in the summer wearing only surfing shorts cwm13.gif

C; I love goats milk, goat cheese, and especially goat meat drool.gif

And (4) Goats are indeed quite the escape artists. Electric fencing works well. It's especially funny when yer helping a friend fix a section, and he has turned the current off to do it. And then his ditzy wife decides to check her goats, and upon noticing the power is off, flips the switch back on just when yer friend has each end of the fence wire in his hands. eek.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

Yeah, chaps, that is what I meant......redface.gif

As to how long, depends on the responeses....wink.gif

Pictures, may a couple tomorrow with a before and after....

Goats......my neighbor had a dwarf/pygmy goat for a long time....he kept her in the barn in the stalls with the horses at night, and in a large caged pen next to the barn during the day.....sometimes he would put her in the paddock with the horses when he was around.....Elsa never escaped from any of those.....she was a sweetheart, but unfortunately is no longer with us. frown.gif

As to goat meat, I have a source to get it, but I think Donna would kill me....

Goats make very good companions for horses with loneliness issues. It's quite common to see a goat and horse live together for years. In the same stall. Once they bond, the goat wont leave.

I was gonna relate a goat/horse story, but I dont wanna derail yer cwm31.gif Evil Lawn Tales From the Greenside

Ok, a little off topic, but I have to ask- Does anyone really milk dwarf goats? How do you milk dwarf goats? Tough enough to milk standard Nubians, basicly a two finger process, so unless these dwarf goats are really stacked...

View PostOk, a little off topic, but I have to ask- Does anyone really milk dwarf goats? How do you milk dwarf goats? Tough enough to milk standard Nubians, basicly a two finger process, so unless these dwarf goats are really stacked...

"I have nipples Greg. Could you milk me?"

View PostOk, a little off topic, but I have to ask- Does anyone really milk dwarf goats? How do you milk dwarf goats? Tough enough to milk standard Nubians, basicly a two finger process, so unless these dwarf goats are really stacked...

You can milk the dwarfs. A full size nubian yields about 1/2 gallon for each milking twice daily, a gallon a day. A good producing dwarf will yield about a pint twice daily and yes, small hands help.

If I decide to go that route, having a small grandchild will help.

Now back to that DR, it's a beast, it'll kick your ass and give you bumps lumps and contusions, but it will get the job done even on rough graded fields.

If things ever get really out of control, I just hook the bush hog to the skid steer and have at it.

Much more civilized than the DR.

View Post

And (4) Goats are indeed quite the escape artists. Electric fencing works well. It's especially funny when yer helping a friend fix a section, and he has turned the current off to do it. And then his ditzy wife decides to check her goats, and upon noticing the power is off, flips the switch back on just when yer friend has each end of the fence wire in his hands. eek.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

I asked an old timer how much current you need to contain a goat. His answer was "enough to cross their eyes and bring them to their knees".

He was not joking.

Hey Steve, just hire a couple of Mexicans like the rest of this freakin country doeswink.gif Lawn problem solved. The other problems are better discussed in the PG Forum. Ben will have a cow (pun intended) if we start an immigration debate in his Forumbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Funny, growing up in Marlboro (NJ) the same solution came to my mind. wink.gif

That being said, after living in CT for a few years now after College I noticed that there is a different demographic for landscaping companies around here.

All the people I have gotten quotes for were white boys, and they cost too much money. redface.giftongue.gif