Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobdobi

new to surf casting

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

well as the title says new to surf casting and to the forums as well. So i know im not going to catch fish right away been out about 6 or 7 times and still at a 0 fish count of any kind. Me and my wife just started to surfcast and bought the pyrimid wieghts, and fishfinders, bait hooks, we both got a good deal on cheap fishing poles. so heres the questions i have built up so far. we have started fishing trying out plumb island a few times no luck but werent fishing the jetty. also we just tried down at gooseburry island in westport. we live in southbridge so its a bit of a haul. anyway.

question 1 is i have almost used up a full spool of line from getting snagged in the rocks. is there a way to kinda prevent this. (guess i should add we have been bait fishing with manhatten and mackrel )

2 is there a certain technique to useing the fishfinder bait method to i leve the line free to drift or cast and flip the bail and wait.

also we are not picky what we catch at this point we just want to catch fish if a striper happens to jump on the we wont complain :p

ill stop there and figure out any othe questions i might have :p

View Postwell as the title says new to surf casting and to the forums as well. So i know im not going to catch fish right away been out about 6 or 7 times and still at a 0 fish count of any kind. Me and my wife just started to surfcast and bought the pyrimid wieghts, and fishfinders, bait hooks, we both got a good deal on cheap fishing poles. so heres the questions i have built up so far. we have started fishing trying out plumb island a few times no luck but werent fishing the jetty. also we just tried down at gooseburry island in westport. we live in southbridge so its a bit of a haul. anyway.

question 1 is i have almost used up a full spool of line from getting snagged in the rocks. is there a way to kinda prevent this. (guess i should add we have been bait fishing with manhatten and mackrel )

2 is there a certain technique to useing the fishfinder bait method to i leve the line free to drift or cast and flip the bail and wait.

also we are not picky what we catch at this point we just want to catch fish if a striper happens to jump on the we wont complain :p

ill stop there and figure out any othe questions i might have :p

I'm with Bob - damn near same story.

It's easier for me to answer like this, sorry.

When using a fishfinder rig put your sinker on an elastic then through your fishsinder so that breaks first and you only lose your sinker. OR

Eliminate the fishfinder and use a rubber core sinker on your line and float and cast your FRESH bait. Old bait stays at the bait shop.

Now is the time of year to fish at night. If you must fish during the day, fish at sunset/sunrise. Cloudy, stormy or overcast days are the exception.

Stay away from flat/calm water. The worst the water is for you to swim in, I think the better your chances.

Fish in places that have had an onshore wind for a day or better.

Spend some money at your local bait and tackle, best place to get up to date info. IMO.

Good luck and please be safe.

U can save your line by using a heavier main line and a weaker leader

as for catching fish that depends on your luck i myself have not been doing well also alot of schoolies

When fishing in a rocky area, I have found that when you initally dislodge your rig from the bottom of the sea, that you must crank your rig in to shore extremly rapidly, so that the rig never touches or drags along the bottom again after it is initially dislodged. If you just slowly drag your rig along the bottom, or let it settle to the bottom again, once it is initially dislodged, you will always end up snagging the bottom. Burn that rig in by cranking as fast as you can and you might not get hung up as much.

Also, use a shorter leader so the hooks don't wave around in the current/backwash/undertow as much.

Also, I always fish (deadstick) with a closed bail, a sharpened hook and a rod holder. About a 8- 10 pound or so setting on the drag. the fish will hook themselves, but the line wont snap if your using line heavier than 10 pound test (you can tighten or loosen the drag, after a fish is hooked).

If your using a spinning reel, make sure the line roller on the bail is working (spins while line is moving across it with the drag set). I use dry graphite/molybdenum lube on the roller guide bushing so it spins nice and easy as the line passes over it. Don't fish (deadstick) with a "belly" in the line, snug it up so the line has no "slack" (belly). Watch the rod, when it bends 90 degrees, with a screaming drag, you know you got a good one on.

Make sure the rod holder is firmly implanted, or good bye rod and reel.

View Postand ditch the pyramid sinkers they get stuck too easy

They are for beach fishing, the pointy end works its way into the sand, holding bottom. Not for fishing rocky areas, use a bank or flat sinker.

yup

thanks guys i only used that rig due to the fact that was the only one i had seen used. Im going to plumb island this weekend, ill stop at the bait shop and pick up some of the round sinkers. also im guessing my bait is ok.... and ill ask the guy at the baitshop for a few other setups. I have a few bucktails im gonna try this weekend also. ill keep ya posted if i catch anything. im glad you guys didnt mind dropping some advice and not "clamming" up like most fishing forums do thinking im gonna run down to the ocean and ninja all the fish out of it :p

I have fished PI a lot and there's very little by way of rocks there. Pyramid sinkers should be fine.

The best possible advice I can give you is to stop in at Surfland on your way in. Go to the counter and tell them that you are a new surfcaster. Ask them what bait is working and for that particular bait what kind of rig and weight they recommend. Ask them where you should go based on the tide at that moment. Buy some bait and a few rigs and weights. Tie on your rig, bait up, cast out and catch!

They'll give you good advice. Because if you catch some fish that will turn you into a repeat customer. And that's what they want.

Fish at night!!!!!!!!!! Particularly this time of year. The fishing is slow in the daytime. Surfland is open until 9pm.

Don't let the line run out with the fish finder rig.

Cast your bait and hold the rod. Don't spike it. When you get a nibble it will feel like someone has grabbed your rod top and has tugged it down. Drop your rod tip a little, let the line come tight and set the hook hard.

With circle hooks, though, if they recommend those for the particular bait you are using then omit the hookset. In that case you drop the rod tip and just reel in. If you set the hook you will usually pull the bait away. As you reel in the circle hook will set itself.

Bob, it may be a quicker ride for you to check out the Southern Shores of RI. Lots of different areas to fish as well, from sand to rocks and estuaries.

View PostBob, it may be a quicker ride for you to check out the Southern Shores of RI. Lots of different areas to fish as well, from sand to rocks and estuaries.

i would like to check that out went to PI becuase my motherinlaw lives up there so if i dont feel like driving back i can sleep there but would love to check out RI ill look it up on the maps and see if it doable mabey later in the year who knows hehe im kida addicted :p