Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g2h

Direct TV. PROS AND CONS

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys looking for a little direction. i'm thinking of getting Direct Tv. Don't know many people that have it. If ya do, could you post what you like and dislike about it? It's either Direct TV or Charter. Charter stinks though. No FX, no football network....etc.

DVR interface sucks. DVR channel management sucks (if your show appears on 3 different channels, it is treated as 3 different shows) Installation is interesting. Had mine installed by the closest crew, which was the local home theatre shop. They are in a strip mall. Who shows up to do the install? The owner of the deli and the gas jockey from Citgo, both located in the same mall. To say that they were inexperienced....... 2 year contract is OK, I guess.

Pluses are that an additional DVR was $5/month. Always some deals to ask for. I have had free HD channels and Showtime for almost 2 years.

If you wanna PM me and say that I recommended you, we each get $50-100 off our bill smile.gif

View PostHave you looked at Comcast?

Why are you interested in DirectTV?

Cable blows. I have DIRECT TV and until the Cable sucks figure out they actually need to provide service and options and not just collect money, I will stay with Satellite.

Cable= maybe 6 channels I would watch out of 50-60. Cost $80 mos.

DTV= 35 channels out of 200 that I will watch. Cost? $65 mos.

No brainer.

Not to mention the channels guide and all the other options they have that make it more user friendly.

And...the picture is awesome compared to the Cable sucks ( at least what I had before )

My only beef with Satellite is the interruption during the T-storms we have had and that was only for 5-20 minutes and these weren't the average everyday T-storms. These were pretty special.

If anyone else is thinking about DTV and they want to save a $100 bucks PM me and I will send you my account number. We'll each get a $ 100 bucks off.

View PostCable blows. I have DIRECT TV and until the Cable sucks figure out they actually need to provide service and options and not just collect money, I will stay with Satellite.

Can you elaborate on that? when you say Cable sucks, what do you mean? What options/services Cable lacks that DTV provides?

View PostCable= maybe 6 channels I would watch out of 50-60. Cost $80 mos.

DTV= 35 channels out of 200 that I will watch. Cost? $65 mos.

No brainer.

Not to mention the channels guide and all the other options they have that make it more user friendly.

Can you mention some specific channels? Also, 50-60 channels in Cable seems a bit low (unless it's basic cable) and $80/month seems excessive for basic cable.

Again, what 'other options' are we talking about here?

This isn't an attack on you Haverodwilltravel, I'm just thinking of switching and curious about the opinion of other people.

Thanks

I have direct tv and like it. The DVR interface is a pita, the original Tivo I had was much better and more intuitive. The service is okay. If you go this route you will lose your signal occasionally. I lose mine a couple times a year to HEAVY rain. I can usually tell when the heavy stuff is coming as I lose TV a couple minutes before it hits. It is less expensive than cable, and I would get it again if I had to chose between satelite and cable. I'd get HD if I were doing it now.

K

i had direct t.v. ..it was great when ever the picture came in mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif . went ot fios ..they never even came to the house to try and fix any problem..i just sat at home for 4 hours and waited.. no call no show ..nothing!!mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif ..switched to optimum and had one problem.they came right out when they said they would .. fixed it and its been fixed since.. good luck with whom ever you pick..

View PostCan you elaborate on that? when you say Cable sucks, what do you mean? What options/services Cable lacks that DTV provides?

Can you mention some specific channels? Also, 50-60 channels in Cable seems a bit low (unless it's basic cable) and $80/month seems excessive for basic cable.

Again, what 'other options' are we talking about here?

This isn't an attack on you Haverodwilltravel, I'm just thinking of switching and curious about the opinion of other people.

Thanks

Okay. I switched over a year ago. I had basic plus and every month I was looking at a bill of $78 + change. They didn't have what they do now that DTV did.

My reception for maybe 15 channels sucked. I called repeatedley and they said it had to be my inside cables. Well when I switched to DTV not only did the problem go away, the picture clarity was far superior.

Here are some of the features that I didn't have with cable

• Channel menu that provides good descriptions and you can go out three weeks in advance to check listings.

• Favorites list creation w/ MULTIPLE FAVORITE LISTS.

• Program reminders for shows

• PPV movies
There are more but I don't use them.

Channels I didn't have when I went to DTV:

Military channel

BBCA

HIST INT.

TCM

NFL

There are probably about 10 more + local channels that I will check out on a daily basis that I cant remember the call signs and maybe 10 others I will roam to if there isn't really anything on.

The bottom line is I have at least 35 channels I can check out that I consider worth checking. With the basic plus I had about 5 not counting the locals ( which I rarely watched ). I watched TLC, DISC, HIST, SCI FI, and TMC and AMC.

The straw that broke the camels back was they pulled TMC and put in that POS " tru " TV in my package.

With the basic plus COMCAST " RIP OFF " you don't get any boxes so maybe that's why I didn't get any features.

With DTV I have 3 boxes and it costs me less.

Like I said, it was a real no brainer for me.

If you're checking out satellite you should also take a look at Dish Network. Better DVR and less costly out of pocket setup for multiple DVR's than DirecTV. Programming is very similar. Biggest caveat would be if you're interested in Sunday Ticket or Extra Innings. DirecTV would be your only choice then.

I'll stick with satellite until Comcast comes up with a 175 mile extension cord. Pretty hard to watch cable in the camper. wink.gif

I've had it for over 7 years, and my plan would go up in price about every 4th billing.After hitting60 bucks, I dropped all the BS channels and now pay 29 for the basic.When it starts to go up again,I'm going back to watching dirty movies and beatin.gif eating cheeto's for entertainment.GR

View PostHey guys looking for a little direction. i'm thinking of getting Direct Tv. Don't know many people that have it. If ya do, could you post what you like and dislike about it? It's either Direct TV or Charter. Charter stinks though. No FX, no football network....etc.

hey bro HappyWave.gif

about sat tv: if you have really bad weather (t-storm), sometimes your reception can stink.

if you want international channels from dtv, you're going to need a high-def dish.

the basic channel selection with dtv kinda ... sucks.

do consider dish network. they are cheaper, and if you have at&t for your home phone or wireless, you can save some $$$ on bundling. the only thing about dish vs. dtv is that for some reason you need to have a higher dish installation than dtv.

-b