Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trout Slayer

Catchin' Cats!

33 posts in this topic

Catfish that is. I mean, setting balls of cat food on hooks and trying to hook a tabby is just sick. Fun. But sick.

What about beef liver as bait? I found a bucket of it for 50 cents at the grocery store, enough to bait several dozen hooks. Does it work as good as chicken livers? How rotten should it be?

Don't waste your time with beef liver or drying out chicken livers, etc. Use fresh chicken liver from the tub, put it on the hook, the bloodier the better and wrap elastic string around six times or so and pull to break it, don't be shy about putting as much liver as you can on a 8/0 hook either. You'll be able to sling it a mile without worry of losing it. Fresh perch, bluegill, bunker and other fish diced up with the guts works great too, fresh is the key with all cut baits for cats. But my all time favorite catty bait is diced eel, second to none!

View PostThanks for the input. I'm sure I'll get fifty different ideas from a dozen folks but I appreciate all of them.

You probably will, and all of them will work, on some fish, some of the time.

Day in and day out, though, the most reliable bait is fresh cutbait. Copycat spoke da truth.

I fish sd every year, all over the place. This year was sioux falls. I did real well with minnows. But i would just stick with fresh livers of chickens with a bait band.

You must have to go pretty far south to get some decent channel and flathead action. You fishing the missouri river?

View PostYou must have to go pretty far south to get some decent channel and flathead action. You fishing the missouri river?

My folks live on the Missouri, Chamberlain to be exact. We plan to do some fishing there at some point. The city just built a fishing dock right into American Creek. My dad says the fishing should be good. We just need to have the right work schedules to pull a long weekend.

We are fishing the channel into Belle Fourche Reservoir. A coworker tells me that's where the cats hang out but to fish them in the early morning or cool evenings with rotting chicken livers. Chicken livers are three times as much as beef livers so I was thinking using the cheep stuff after a week in the fridge.

But I'm always willing to take more input.

View PostMy folks live on the Missouri, Chamberlain to be exact. We plan to do some fishing there at some point. The city just built a fishing dock right into American Creek. My dad says the fishing should be good. We just need to have the right work schedules to pull a long weekend.

We are fishing the channel into Belle Fourche Reservoir. A coworker tells me that's where the cats hang out but to fish them in the early morning or cool evenings with rotting chicken livers. Chicken livers are three times as much as beef livers so I was thinking using the cheep stuff after a week in the fridge.

But I'm always willing to take more input.

I fished that area 2 years ago, stayed in chamberlain. Honestly the channels aroubd there love the threadfin shad. You can not catch more using liver than live bait. Its just natural for them to eat a fish that thye niormally target. usaully there are bait balls right around the sides of the channel due to the bass and other fish cornereing them. bring a dip net for the bait.

View PostDon't waste your time with beef liver or drying out chicken livers, etc. Use fresh chicken liver from the tub, put it on the hook, the bloodier the better and wrap elastic string around six times or so and pull to break it, don't be shy about putting as much liver as you can on a 8/0 hook either. You'll be able to sling it a mile without worry of losing it. Fresh perch, bluegill, bunker and other fish diced up with the guts works great too, fresh is the key with all cut baits for cats. But my all time favorite catty bait is diced eel, second to none!

All good advice icon14.gif

I'm so tired of the stink bait, rotten food, squirt some of this stuff in a plastic ball, yada-yada cwm27.gif Yes, a blind squirrel will sometimes get a nut! But most all this, is BS!

If your worried about the price of bait, what's cheaper than catching a few Bluegills on an ultra-light? One of the best baits going for Cats... cut for Blues, and live for Flats. Cut Herring/shad/alewives and bunker when the former can't be had. Eels alive or cut into chunks, is prime and always available cheap. Tidal rivers, add peelers and bloodworm's to the mix. Shrimp is usually good anywhere, and picking them up by the handful, frozen single, is a great way to have an extra few pieces of a different bait on your trips.

Yep, and if you can't bear the thought of any of those, chicken livers (one of the old baits you heard about), is actually good bait. But leave the beef liver, for liver and onions at home upck.gif

Grab your surf gear, and head out for some 30lb+ bruiser Cats, and leave those little mud Cats to the stink bait fisherman HappyWave.gif

fish the livers fresh, not rotten, much better results. No need to get nasty with stink bait either to catch catfish.

I fish fresh shad when I can get some. I also keep a freezer full of mullet and manhaden from saltwater trips to fish for channels and blues when I can't get fresh bait. Bluegills, bullheads, suckers, and baby carp for flatheads.

I can catch channels in icy water in January in NC on shad. Another secret winter time bait that is used locally is to soak thin cuts of deer meat in cream corn overnight and fish with them. It really works in cold weather for some reason.

View Postfish the livers fresh, not rotten, much better results. No need to get nasty with stink bait either to catch catfish.

I fish fresh shad when I can get some. I also keep a freezer full of mullet and manhaden from saltwater trips to fish for channels and blues when I can't get fresh bait. Bluegills, bullheads, suckers, and baby carp for flatheads.

I can catch channels in icy water in January in NC on shad. Another secret winter time bait that is used locally is to soak thin cuts of deer meat in cream corn overnight and fish with them. It really works in cold weather for some reason.

Yep, small bullheads are a prized offering for the Flathead.highfive.gif

View PostGrab your surf gear, and head out for some 30lb+ bruiser Cats

My son only weighs 50 pounds. A 30 pound cat would eat HIM! I don't want to lose a pole. I'll happily take the small cats.

In SD, I don't think you're gonna find eels and mullet but you will do just fine with whatever bait you can catch. Mooneyes are supposed to be decent and if you have shad up there, I'd try that too. I like the raw shrimp from the grocery store earlier in the year. You might find some Sonny's in a bait shop if you want to catch little ones. Luck.

Forget liver (although beef works just fine and stays put on the hook better)

Shrimp shell on uncooked will work just as well if not better. It not only the cats meow, it will catch anything that swims.