Anyone see the new Saltist prototype?

Rate this topic

Spigola

I'm sure they could seal it for not too much added cost. But then they'd have to provide some pretty rigorous quality assurance and probably accept more warranty claims. It could be done, but doesn't seem the kind of thing that is normally done with chinese made products. I hope they do, and i'm sure they could if they wanted to. But i think they'll leave sealing as a saltiga z exclusive. All speculation of course.

Of greater concern, the spool does look kinda deep and short in the photos, doesn't it. Although, I think the guys in the distance casting forum have convincingly shown that good line lay can trump spool design w.r.t. cast distance, i still like to see a long shallow spool.

View Post Of greater concern, the spool does look kinda deep and short in the photos, doesn't it. Although, I think the guys in the distance casting forum have convincingly shown that good line lay can trump spool design w.r.t. cast distance, i still like to see a long shallow spool.

The Saltiga-Z has the same spool design, and I can tell you from personal experience that it's no slouch as a caster.

Even line lay, and the lip design allows you to overfill the spool without worrying about braid overrunning it.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

View Post

Of greater concern, the spool does look kinda deep and short in the photos, doesn't it. Although, I think the guys in the distance casting forum have convincingly shown that good line lay can trump spool design w.r.t. cast distance, i still like to see a long shallow spool.

I initially thought this also when I saw the photo. But a 6.2:1 reel that picks up 53.1 inches of line per crank (5000H -6500H) would have a pretty large spool. It wouldn't be the first time that a perspective on a photo gave a false impression. Note that the photo is taken from a front to back angle. This perspective would give the illusion of a shorter spool. The photo is also of the smaller 4500 version (44.5 inches per crank).- HPD

originall posted by Ditchjigger

Do they really save that much money by moving production offshore from Japan? confused.gif

This is why the new made in USA Penn Super reel costs 6 bills, and in retrospect can be deamed inexpensive compared to other reels in its class. It should have been priced 1k for that US made reel but Penn wants to make a statment and a comeback for US manufacturing.

But the chinese people aside from their low labor costs have taken automated tackle manufacturing to the next level. The Chinese are an amazing people and it shows in the quality verses low price of their reels.

This year and what it will bring will either open or seal the future of USA made tackle.frown.gif

The Horizon Calls..........

View Postoriginall posted by Ditchjigger

This is why the new made in USA Penn Super reel costs 6 bills, and in retrospect can be deamed inexpensive compared to other reels in its class. It should have been priced 1k for that US made reel but Penn wants to make a statment and a comeback for US manufacturing.

But the chinese people aside from their low labor costs have taken automated tackle manufacturing to the next level. The Chinese are an amazing people and it shows in the quality verses low price of their reels.

This year and what it will bring will either open or seal the future of USA made tackle.frown.gif

Japanese manufacturing costs are probably even more expensive than US costs. Employees have to make a living wage, and the cost of living in Japan is much higher than in the US. Maybe the Stella SW is a better value than you think wink.gif

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Saragosa: I recently bought one from J&H and it had issues with the bail. I brought it back and took another new one out of the box and it had the same issue with the bail. (wouldn't trip when up against or very close the the stop).

I exchanged it for another Cabo for a custom Lami "S" pencil popper rod wink.gif

So I would say no to the Saragosa unless you go with the manual bail kit

-

View Postsaltist

the reel is not fully sealed acording to the new catalog that i dont think i was suposed to see yet, sealed drag , but the body isnt sealed at all i belive is what it sounded like,

I believe your correct, takle direct **** changed its description leaving that out as well. I say this as they were the only site posting it for reservation when the photos were released. Still though I think it could be a spetacular reel for short money. I buy tons of shimano products but I truly think daiwa has always made a superior product, unfortuanately they were always a size to large or too small, or too much floo$. I always look to daiwa and team daiwa first.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

Quote:

go_quote.gif

originall posted by Ditchjigger

Ditchjigger

Japanese manufacturing costs are probably even more expensive than US costs. Employees have to make a living wage, and the cost of living in Japan is much higher than in the US. Maybe the Stella SW is a better value than you think wink.gif

A better value at $850 to $1k? headscratch.gif with a just a "Sw-Water Resistant Body," confused.gif...

Maybe its just me but that seems a bit pricey, but taste is subjective to the end user... maybe cause I fish in wet sandy suds and am falling off rocks all the time I am looking for mora of a "slamable rambo reel" and these high end Japanese reels as beautiful as they are havent really established legendary status in the surf "yet"..

Can some one please post a picture of the new saltist reel so we can feast our eyes on the new offering.... I love looking at the new gals..smile.gif

The Horizon Calls..........

Can some one please post a picture of the new saltist reel so we can feast our eyes on the new offering.... I love looking at the new gals..smile.gif

Ahem.......use the search function.......highfive.gif

Search...New daiwa saltist out of the back from a few weeks ago. LOL

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I just stripped out the main gear on my saragosa. Anyone who owns one open up the reel and make sure the six screws that hold the main gear tight on the shaft or tight. Mine were not tightened from the factory and allowed the gear to flex which caused the main drive gear to loose some teeth making the reel feel like crap. I returned the reel back to cabelas because I feel that shimanos 3 week + turn around time was unacceptable. I could have purchased the drive gear but that was 47 bucks plus 7 bucks shipping and handling. I am staying away from shimano for a while.

View PostCan some one please post a picture of the new saltist reel so we can feast our eyes on the new offering.... I love looking at the new gals..smile.gif

Ahem.......use the search function.......highfive.gif

Search...New daiwa saltist out of the back from a few weeks ago. LOL

Here's a pic:

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?