Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Anyone see the new Saltist prototype?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I am still trying to settle on a new reel for my new pencil rod. After an analysis, I have it narrowed down to a Shimano Saragosa 8000, a Quantum Cabo 60 or the new Daiwa Saltist 4500. The Cabo is at the bottom of my list because of weight and line capacity. The Saragosa and Saltist are almost neck and neck and because of the extra line capacity i tend to favor the Saltist. These reels are at the top of my price range.

Has anyone out in SOL land actually seen or touched the new Daiwa Saltist spinning reels and able to give some feedback? I have a couple of convench Saltists, that I use for bottom fishing, and they are awesome.

Spig

My bad. I do mean the new Saltist, not the Saltiga.

Spig

so the saltist or the saltiga? i saw the saltist today. nice reel. didnt thuroughly check it out, but from the outside looks good and is smooth as ever.

View Postso the saltist or the saltiga? i saw the saltist today. nice reel. didnt thuroughly check it out, but from the outside looks good and is smooth as ever.

You saw a Saltist spinner?? I thought it was not due to be released until September. I sure would like to get my hands on one before then! - HPD

View Postso the saltist or the saltiga? i saw the saltist today. nice reel. didnt thuroughly check it out, but from the outside looks good and is smooth as ever.

I meant the new Saltist. redface.gif

Spig

View PostYou saw a Saltist spinner?? I thought it was not due to be released until September. I sure would like to get my hands on one before then! - HPD

ill go back tomorrow to check it out. they're expensive out here. everything is. but ill check it out and send you a PM about it.

View PostRumor is they are supposed to be fully sealed. If so, and at a fair price, I think I have my next reel.

That's one of the reasons I am thinking of waiting for them to come out.wink.gif

View Postill go back tomorrow to check it out. they're expensive out here. everything is. but ill check it out and send you a PM about it.

It should be around $230.

View PostIt should be around $230.

i think it was one of the ones that was like 34000 yen... about $350... but im not sure exactly. ill let you guys know tomorrow and ill take pics of it.

View PostI am still trying to settle on a new reel for my new pencil rod. After an analysis, I have it narrowed down to a Shimano Saragosa 8000, a Quantum Cabo 60 or the new Daiwa Saltist 4500. The Cabo is at the bottom of my list because of weight and line capacity. The Saragosa and Saltist are almost neck and neck and because of the extra line capacity i tend to favor the Saltist. These reels are at the top of my price range.

Has anyone out in SOL land actually seen or touched the new Daiwa Saltist spinning reels and able to give some feedback? I have a couple of convench Saltists, that I use for bottom fishing, and they are awesome.

Spig

My bad. I do mean the new Saltist, not the Saltiga.

Spig

I have handled them and they seem nice. A little bulky and seem rather uncomfertable.

When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is wink.gif

Supposedly the Saltist has a stainless pinion and bronze main gear (like the Saltiga), "Digigear" computer-assisted gear design (like the Saltiga), all metal constrruction (like the Saltiga) a "sealed" body and drag (whether it's fully sealed like the Saltiga or just sealed at the side plate is an open question), the manually operated hollow "air bail" (like the Saltiga), only 5 ball bearings as opposed to 11 in the Saltiga, yet is going to sell for about a quarter of the price headscratch.gif

Something doesn't add up. The reel sounds like the US version of the JDM Catalina, which is a Saltiga-lite like the Blast. But the Catalina sells for about what the Blast did, around $400.

Do they really save that much money by moving production offshore from Japan? confused.gif

I suspect they may have saved a large amount of money by moving production to China. Look at some of the very good saltwater reels already coming out of china/SE asia, like the Okuma Salina or Abu Soron and how much they sell for.

Previously, IMO what most of the reels made in china have lacked hasn't been quality, it has been that many of the designs have just been a little bit off target - of which my Soron/807i is a good example. Why on earth would you put an anti-reverse switch on that reel? And it should have come as a manual bail (thankfully, it's an easy fix). A lot of the features we are looking for in a surf reel don't actually build any extra manufacturing cost into the reel - in fact they probably often save cost.

Hopefully, with the Saltist we will see the best of Daiwa design but a made in China price tag. The 4500H certainly looks the best choice on paper, although i doubt it will be sealed unfortunately.

I don't think it's out of the question for it to be sealed. The Daiwa Seagate is sealed and made in Japan and is only about $300 on ebay. I think the Saltist will probably be based on the Seagate but made in China hence the cheaper price. I don't know how fully sealed the Seagate is but it is advertised as having a sealed gear box. The only think disheartening so far is that it doesn't look like the new Saltist will have the long cast spool.