Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baadbobby

Pony hit and killed at AI Thursday

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

@ 9:30 PM, someone nailed a pony right on 611 between the bridge and Bayberry Dr, closer to Bayberry. It was quite a sad site. A ranger I talked to said he thinks it's neck was snapped instantly and that it died immediately. There was considerable damage to a white van as well. The ranger mentioned that "they [ponies] have a brain the size of a walnut..." I'm guessing that he thought it was the pony's fault. FYI, the speed limit right there is 30 mph, and they take radar there more than anywhere else on earth that I know of.

I Hope They Got There Asses Locked Up ,everyone Knows That They Are There And Other Animals They Should Have Cared A Little More About The Area.which Alot Of Others Dont.more And More Trash Going To Ai Va And Md

it's no different than the street I live on

posted 20 mph, but the majority of folks travel at 45-55

that includes the huge garbage trucks, dump trucks, and the humongous horse trailers

go figure

I'll get em

they did a ton of landscape damage to my place last week

I'll fix it, but a ton of folks will hear about it

maintain the speed limit, and problems are minimal

I have nearly hit deer several times there...even slowpoking along like the old geezer that I am. Sometimes this kinda stuff is just an accident...no one would run down a horse on purpose, would they??

Very sad...sorry to hear about this.I would feel terrible if it happened to me.

Speaking strictly on a biological basis the island is better off with one less horse. Overpopulation and habitat destruction is a problem. Yes Misty is pretty but there are too many Mistys.

Frankly, I could care less about the horse. It's just another wild horse in an overpopulated habitat. I feel sorry for the poor sap who damaged his vehicle.

And as far as speeding... I set my cruise on the speed limit as soon as I come over the bridge and several times I've had to jam on the brakes or swerve suddenly to avoid horses. If I would have been looking at the scenery and wildlife, which is what people tend to do there, I'd have hit them.

View PostAnd as far as speeding... I set my cruise on the speed limit as soon as I come over the bridge and several times I've had to jam on the brakes or swerve suddenly to avoid horses. If I would have been looking at the scenery and wildlife, which is what people tend to do there, I'd have hit them.

Or the young kid that decided to walk across the road while they were crabbing.

How do you wack a horse, not like they dart across the road like a deer. Those AI ponies walk, maybe 2 miles per hour. Never in a hurry for anything. Did the guy run off the road and get him, or just not paying attention at all. Guess it's better it was a Pony and not a person.

View Post.no one would run down a horse on purpose, would they??

The first thing that popped into my mind when i read this was the story about those two guys last year, that were prancing around naked trying to tackle the horses. Anyone else remember that?

View PostThe first thing that popped into my mind when i read this was the story about those two guys last year, that were prancing around naked trying to tackle the horses. Anyone else remember that?

No. But I bet they don't either.

View Post

How do you wack a horse, not like they dart across the road like a deer. Those AI ponies walk, maybe 2 miles per hour. Never in a hurry for anything.

I have had a group of 3 horses run across the road right in front of me at night. They were moving pretty fast and if i was not paying attention i am sure i would have hit them as i had to hit my breaks as hard as i could. I was going under the speed limit because it was night and i saw alot of them along side of the road that night. They may not be quite as fast as a deer but these three were running across and not just walking and came out of no where from the shrubs. Not saying this happens all the time or that this is what happened in this case but it has happened to me.

KJS

i came very close to hitting a pony this spring...it was around 3am and the fog was very thick...i came over the bridge and went to make the right turn towards the national park and the pony was in the middle of the road right on the turn just standing there!

good thing i was crawling along because of the fog...i really dont know how i missed it... musta been a half inch away and the pony didnt flinch.