Info on Southern Maine Charters/ Party Boats?

Rate this topic

The wife wants to take me fishing for my birthday, and it would be a first for both of us. I would consider myself an average angler but fairly new(this will be my second time) to offshore ground fishing. So I used the search option and there wasn't really a lot of info. I'm a little nervous about the Bunny Clark being that most reports siad it was a great boat unless you were new to the game. I also saw mention of the ugly anne, and she found a boat called the Nor'easter. I am hoping that someone could give me some advice as to which boat might be a better bet. I want to catch fish and she wants me to catch fish but I'd also like her to enjoy herself a bit too. So if anyone has any input as to what will be an enjoyable but worthwhile trip that would be great.

Thanks,

James

I did a charter out of SACO, for Strippers last weekend and did very good.

The price was a bit more than a party boat will cost you,but we stayed fairly close to shore,and caught in excess of 50 fish!

We had 4 guys fishing , so with just 2 of you there will be PLENTY of room to fish,and no other fishermans lines to tangle with!

We went out with Captain Garren .

He can be reached @ 207-229-3780

I have friends in the area,and they all recomended him to us last year,and we liked him enough to go back to him this year!

Good Fishin!

i had a good time on the bunny clark but will never do another marathon with him again. the regulars that go on every marathon acted like they owned the boat. hitting me with the butt of the rod while trying to cast, constantly mentioning that thers room on the bow(trying to get the new guy away from them) thought they should be allowed(and were) to show up at the last minute and get whatever spot they wanted. like i said had a good time but didn't enjoy the company, i'll use a different boat next time or just continue to give a friend some gas money for a ride out

ty

I appreciate all the responses. You guys have kind of confirmed my feelings about the bunny clark. Guaranteed to catch fish but not guaranteed to have a great time doing it. Any info on the other two outfits, ugly anne or Nor'Easter, from anyone would be great. Again thanks and any more help is appreciated.

James

Just curious?

How much is it for the party boats?

I haven't been on one since I was a kid.

We paid $350 for a solid 5 hours of fishing on our charter.

We split it between 4 of us,and added a little for a tip because Captain Garen did a great job of finding the bait,and the fish.

We ended up at $110 each.

I know the party boats are mostly for bottom fish ,and when we went out many years ago , we caught cod,but what other species are commonly caught?

I took my daughter out on the Ugly Anne last summer and we had a very nice time. Captain put us on some nice fish and he and the mate were very pleasant and easy to work with. Most of the other folks on board were novice to moderately experienced - several first timers. I think it will meet your needs and be enjoyable for the wife as well. Good Luck!!

It looks like its about 75 dollars a piece on the bigger boats and they go after mainly cod and haddock but there is also hake, pollock, wolffish, and I'm sure some others along with the prized dog fish. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please as I'm reciting those from what I've researched.

Thanks for the info on the ugly anne ddcrnaI just shot them an e-mail asking about what trips they were running because it looks like this time of year they only run half day trips.

Thanks everyone and don't hesitate to give me any more information as I still haven't really made up my mind.

Sorry you had a rough time Ty. I posted a similar experience last year about the same boat and got cr#**ed on on this site. I too will never go on that boat again. They really needs some competition closer to Portland. There used to be several boats out of Boothbay, but all they do is Whale watch now. Too bad because they are really designed as party boats.

(*member formerly known as 'Fairplay')

I can't believe no one has mentioned Captain Satch out of Wells harbor. He runs two boats with a wide variety of trips. Satch is one of the easiest going guys you will ever meet. He runs a real family style operation. If I was in the market for a charter or party trip I would make him my first choice. I fish the flat water in Wells harbor a lot and I often see his boats coming back in with many happy faces and Satch always seems to be the happiest. That kind of good humor is infectious. Look him up.

I used to fish on the Bunny Clark many years ago when Satch was first mate and he was a first rate first mate. I know that on ANY boat you can get a bad crowd on the wrong day. I would not put too much stock in any one bad experience but if you hear the same thing over & over then take heed. I don't party fish any more but I did go out on the BC one time about 3 years ago just to shoot some photos. The Captain and mate were two young guys I never met before. They promised they could accommodate me and my camera but once we were underway they never gave me another moment of attention. Seemed only interested in their own post adolescent drama.

Went out of the Hampton's this spring on the Eastern fleet.

Many boats that go out every day.

Captain and mates were nice. $50-55. (can t remember).

Recomend it highly.

The allure of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive, but attainable, and a perpetual series of occaisions for hope.

You wanted info on the other two boats so here goes...

Ugly Anne has been around for a while and has seen its fair share of captains. A few years ago she almost went out of business and was either bought up by someone else, or a new capt was hired. She has been busier as of late but it still has the reputation for being a party boat targeted at tourists, out for a good time more than fishing. I would see myself getting a bit more frustrated with so many first timers and absent minders at my elbows.

The Nor'Easter is rather new to the game. I don't think they've been going out more than 5 years. The crew seem to be nice enough. I don't know what their prices are like but they have had decent size parties most of the times I have seen them come in and out of Wells Harbor. I haven't heard much in the way of super good or super bad, just that they are honest guys and will try to put you on some decent fish.

I am slightly biased with Satch, but if you want a good time out I would recommend him. He only takes out 6 people. He and his mate are two of the more knowledgable guys around that I know of. I know Satch has been fishing/working these waters for 30 or so years. He is a great, honest guy who will try his damnedst to put you on fish and make sure you have a good time all the while. That's about all I'm going to say, as like I said I am biased and I am not on here to advertise. I don't know the site's regulations regarding advertising services/relations sorta thing and I'm not looking for any trouble with mods/admins.

Good luck wherever you decide. A day on the water beats the snot out of a day on land. highfive.gif

You will have lots of fun & learn how to fish for Stripers, Blues & Tuna from these two experienced charter boat captains. Both have center consoles in the 23 FT range and will get you on fish. You will have a great time!!!

Jim 207-229-3845 - "Rippin Lips"

Gerron 207-229-3780 - "Angler Management"

Good Luck,

Steve - GAME ON