how anal are you guys about prepping your gear before heading out?

Rate this topic

fishweewee

yeesh. i think i just killed three hours this evening prepping tackle. i wasn't planning on heading out tonight, so no big deal.

-i spotted some frays in my lines. so i respooled two spinning reels.

-the fin-nor ahab was squeaking a little. broke it down, threw it into the ultrasonic degreasing cleaner (slip 2000 + water), flushed bearings with wd40, dried off, reassembled, and packed the gear box with grease.

-went through the plugs. rusty trebles. crappy mustad trebles. rusty siwashes. split rings rusty. egads, replace hooks, tie some bucktail and flash on siwashes, swap out split rings.

-checked flashlights and swapped out batteries.

-ran q-tips through rod guides to check for cracks.

i'm exhausted. cwm27.gif

To me, Thats half the fun of it. Making sure you dont leave anything to chance. Im pretty anal about my knots. Man, I remember tying an albright for the first time. I tied that knot at least for an hour until I could do it blindfolded

I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing gear.... the rest I just wasted

I am that way with my bike..... every day, before my ride, I have it on the stand and check everything... there have been more than a few rides where I ended up going 2-3 hours later.... or not at all because i was fixing every little issue.

When it comes to my fishing equipment, I wish I was half as anal. I've lost plenty of fish due to frayed line.... or spent the day fighting wind loops in my reel because the line was so twisted from using spinners (freshwater)

I usually make sure everything is in order, but not the night I'm heading out. Usually a night or two before.

I'm glad you oiled that squeaking reel.smile.gif

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

View Postyeesh. i think i just killed three hours this evening prepping tackle. i wasn't planning on heading out tonight, so no big deal.

-i spotted some frays in my lines. so i respooled two spinning reels.

-the fin-nor ahab was squeaking a little. broke it down, threw it into the ultrasonic degreasing cleaner (slip 2000 + water), flushed bearings with wd40, dried off, reassembled, and packed the gear box with grease.

-went through the plugs. rusty trebles. crappy mustad trebles. rusty siwashes. split rings rusty. egads, replace hooks, tie some bucktail and flash on siwashes, swap out split rings.

-checked flashlights and swapped out batteries.

-ran q-tips through rod guides to check for cracks.

i'm exhausted. cwm27.gif

Why the thumbs down? Thats awesome dude.. You can never be too prepared! When I know all my stuff is going to work it gives me great confidence which IMHO is realllly important. I don't want to have to question anything..I want everything to work flawlessly and if something does go wrong I'll know my back up rod is squared and ready. I wish I was better about the clean up. I fish pretty much everyday and I'm lucky if I was my stuff down every other day. I my own defense its usually still wet at least redface.gif

View PostThat's what winter is for. . .

Not when you fish as much as these guys...A years worth of fishing could just be less than a seasons worth for some, plus regular checks are essential for those who don't want to be posting in the Main Forum "The one that got away mad.gif "

Just some thoughts.

Sean

SOL Member #9916