Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcurtiss

My new grill(s)

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

MMmmmm...nice. Just saw that at lowes the other day. Post some photo's when you pop the cherry. Scott

Just a pile of scrap metal till we see some food come out of it.

Looks cool, very smart idea I think.

There's lots of mods that make that cooker really efficient. Check out the forums at Steven Raichlen's site, they have a whole forum dedicated to Char grillers.

View PostJust a pile of scrap metal till we see some food come out of it.

Looks cool, very smart idea I think.

There's lots of mods that make that cooker really efficient. Check out the forums at Steven Raichlen's site, they have a whole forum dedicated to Char grillers.

been checking the site out already. lots of good advice on getting the firebox set up.

planning some salmon for tomorrow night and a brisket and some ribs next weekend.

so far, i'm impressed with the quality for the price.

nope. gas is gas; charcoal is charcoal.

i installed the side fire box and fired it up.

my wife caught me staring at the thing tonight

i think i teared up.

View PostMy brother just bought one of those, he needs to get the side firebox also.

tell him that installing it is way easier than what people say. with a buddy, 30 minutes tops

Nice...... I saw that at the big L yesterday as well.

I've got the CG Pro with the side box....... as a matter of fact, I just bought a replacement side firebox yesterday since my original is about burnt out!

You can turn out some good stuff on these gems.

They aren't known to be "state of the art" as far as smokers go, since they are a bit leaky and draftey, making it sometimes difficult to maintain a good light smoke and temp if it's windy or cold, but with practice I'm sure you will be happy!

I made a few rookie mistakes when I first started smokin.......

Too hot (my thermo was off by 40 degrees.... I now use a probe for both cooking temp and food temp)

Too much smoke - careful with the mesquite - I like apple and cherry now, use oak and hickory as well

Once you learn the quirks of your cooker..... LEAVE THE TOP CLOSED..... everytime you open it you let flavor escape! If you know something is gonna smoke for 10+ hours..... don't even think of opening it for the first 5.... not even for a peek.

I'm still makin mistakes on mine, but even the mistakes are tasty!

Shoot me a PM if ya wanna talk smoke

Good luck with it...... I see many tasty treats in your future. drool.gif

Dave

thanks for the tips.

i've been smoking with a bullet-type brinkman for a few years but this is my first offset smoker. i did a ton of mods to the old smoker so i'm not afraid of tinkering.

jerseydave,

I have the regular Chargriller with the side firebox, and yes it can be hard to maintain the temp when it it windy, but I have found that if I cover the outside of the grill area, I use some old liners from firecoats, then it keeps a steady temp even on windy and cold days.

View Postjerseydave,

I have the regular Chargriller with the side firebox, and yes it can be hard to maintain the temp when it it windy, but I have found that if I cover the outside of the grill area, I use some old liners from firecoats, then it keeps a steady temp even on windy and cold days.

icon14.gif

I've been meaning to pick up a few welding blankets or something similar, but have yet to get em. I've been strategically orienting the smoker when needed in order to lessen the wind problems.

barbecuebible.com/board/search.php?search_id=546896072&start=0

If you add the http and the www thing in front of the line posted above you will find many, many modifications and helpful hints for the Chargriller.

Dave