Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pierfisherman

How big would a shark have to be to break 150PP?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I was shark fishing a while back and I got a bite from a biggen, well anyway by the time I realized it was my rod the fish was running towards the pier so I locked the drag down on brand new line and it snapped off instintly, how big would it have to be? I don't think it was a bull or lemon because it did the classic click click click pause... BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ routine, tiger maybe?

View PostI was shark fishing a while back and I got a bite from a biggen, well anyway by the time I realized it was my rod the fish was running towards the pier so I locked the drag down on brand new line and it snapped off instintly, how big would it have to be? I don't think it was a bull or lemon because it did the classic click click click pause... BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ routine, tiger maybe?

Its doesn't matter if you PP was 50lb or 1000lb PP, no fish is going to break its. Its must of been your connections or abrasion. Its could of been a small shark , maybe 4-5ft and just it tail abraded the line. Its kinda hard to give someone an answer of how big a shark must of been for break so and such line etc.

Verdict: My guess is that your knot from your PP to the swivel slipped..

Much more likely to be a problem with your terminal tackle, knots, defect in the line, etc.

What kind of rod/reel?

In all probability the gears in the rod would strip and/or the rod would snap a long time before that line would snap if it were just pulled on with that kind of force.

View PostIts doesn't matter if you PP was 50lb or 1000lb PP, no fish is going to break its. Its must of been your connections or abrasion. Its could of been a small shark , maybe 4-5ft and just it tail abraded the line. Its kinda hard to give someone an answer of how big a shark must of been for break so and such line etc.

Verdict: My guess is that your knot from your PP to the swivel slipped..

You don't believe that there are fish out there that could break 50# Power Pro? confused.gif

I don't know why guys spend big bucks on International 80s and 130s then--they should just buy 30s and run 50# Power Pro for giant bluefin and grander marlin icon14.gif

how old was the line? you got new line on the reel now, right?

old line, it could have been a weakened spot from a week, month agp that finally let go under stress.

new line, your knot or tackle was the weak spot.

a big fish will let you know here your weak link is.

150 lbs of drag, you're not swimming, you're water skiing.

think about it.... when you set the hook, did you apply 150lbs of pressure? can your rod really handle 150lbs of pressure? if so then it might have been a big shark... if not then the line failed dure to the shark coming in contact with it, or a manufacture defect....

View PostYou don't believe that there are fish out there that could break 50# Power Pro? confused.gif

I don't know why guys spend big bucks on International 80s and 130s then--they should just buy 30s and run 50# Power Pro for giant bluefin and grander marlin icon14.gif

Not with proper drag settings, when GBFT and some large marlin come into play diameter and the amount of drag pressure can really screw ya over with the line digging into the spool giving added complications. Mono and 130's still have there place.. Right?

View PostNot with proper drag settings, when GBFT and some large marlin come into play diameter and the amount of drag pressure can really screw ya over with the line digging into the spool giving added complications. Mono and 130's still have there place.. Right?

Sean,

With 50lb PP a giant bluefin or a big marlin having made a really long run and then taking off 90deg to the original run might break the knots, with the drag set at 15 poundswink.gif.

Same thing with the 80lb mono, with 400 or so yards of line off the reel and a big belly of line in the water from the fish running sideways, you can pop your knots, even with very little drag.

These fish can make runs at 2o knots or so.

Next time you head offshore, even for fluke, try dumping 300 yards of 30 lb braid off your reel directly behind the boat and feel the pull of the water on the line when it is straight behind the boat, not being subjected to sideways pull.

One little hint... Try not to dump your spool!smile.gif