Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jborg

sleep loss

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

If you're fishing mostly at night, how much sleep loss can you tolerate? I find that I can't tolerate less than 3 hrs sleep two days in a row, meaning I can fish every other night and be OK, sort of. Less sleep and I start feeling crappy. Occasionally I try to go w/ less than 2 hrs in one night, but then I need a few days to recover.

View PostIf you're fishing mostly at night, how much sleep loss can you tolerate? I find that I can't tolerate less than 3 hrs sleep two days in a row, meaning I can fish every other night and be OK, sort of. Less sleep and I start feeling crappy. Occasionally I try to go w/ less than 2 hrs in one night, but then I need a few days to recover.

Same here. I NEED my sleep. If I pull an all nighter fishing, and get only a couple hours of sleep, I crash pretty hard later in the day. Messes my whole system up. I've fished until 3-4am a lot, and had to be up by 6am, and it just plain sucks. Fishing has to be pretty good for me to stay up that late though.

Sometimes I try and sleep before I go out too, so I feel better later.

I dunno since I'm about 3 hours from the beach my trips useally include no sleep. Most times I'll get up got to work then come home and make the run, fish all night, then fish all day and come home. Its nothing for me to go 30 to 36 without sleep on the weekends I go down.

View PostPower Naps. Between 1/2 an hour and 45 minutes long. It is an acquired skill.biggrin.gif

Same here..although I try not to exceed 30...Then after a few hrs, another 30...and so on...

I've heard that a full sleep cycle is 3hrs, but I would assume everyone is different. Even if I'm not fishing I rarely sleep more than 4hrs these days.

View PostPower Naps. Between 1/2 an hour and 45 minutes long. It is an acquired skill.biggrin.gif

redface.gif it's been years since i've been able to that.now i'll say ok i'll grab an hr. nap befor i go out and 7 hrs. later i'm pulling my gear out of my truck so i can go to work.I dont know why but fishing 6hrs.on the 3rd shift feels like 12hrs. and a whole day to recoup.redface.gif I've gone 3or4 day's in a row boat fishing 6to8 hrs.days tired yes but nothing like 2 night's in a row of less fishing.redface.gif

View Posti'll say ok i'll grab an hr. nap before

Trust me on this; Can't exceed 45 minutes. 1/2 hour to 45 min. will rejuvenate you; longer you are loggy or grumpy or you sleep through.

i used to take a bunch of NO DOZ before I went in to work after pulling all nighters, but it eventually made me crash hard. Then I found out I was ADD and got a prescription for aderral that I take once daily in the morning. I can fish all night and go straight to work or school and feel fine and it never messes up my schedule. I know its no good for my body but it works! This way I can pull an all nighter every other night.

Let me tell ya a little story. I was just like you guys. Sleep whats that, fish all night then go to work. No problem, until I went from wide awake to meeting a tree head on at 50 mph. Didn't even feel tired. Even worse, had my little guy in the truck also. Talk about lucky I split my head pretty good, truck was totaled but he went to school 2 days later, not a scratch. Talk about a wake-up call. I went to the doc to make sure I didn't suffer from some sleep disorder or something. He asked me how much sleep I had the night before, umm none doc I was fishing. He just looked at me like the knucklehead I was. Now I'm not telling anyone what to do but if anything had happened to my boy because of me I would have never got over it. Be careful.

View Posti used to take a bunch of NO DOZ before I went in to work after pulling all nighters, but it eventually made me crash hard. Then I found out I was ADD and got a prescription for aderral that I take once daily in the morning. I can fish all night and go straight to work or school and feel fine and it never messes up my schedule. I know its no good for my body but it works! This way I can pull an all nighter every other night.

This post scares me. Hope your not on the road in NY. Not only are you endangering yourself, but others who are on the road-drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, etc.

Central Nervous System

Psychotic episodes at recommended doses, overstimulation, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dyskinesia, dysphoria, depression, tremor, headache, exacerbation of motor and phonic tics and Tourette's syndrome, seizures, stroke

Adderall Side Effects: An Introduction

As with any medicine, there are possible side effects associated with Adderall® (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine). However, not everyone who takes Adderall will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate Adderall well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by your or your healthcare provider.

(The Adderall side effects discussed below are not a complete list of side effects reported with the medication. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of side effects with you.)

Common Adderall Side Effects

Adderall has been thoroughly studied in clinical trials, with many people having been evaluated. In these studies, side effects occurring in the group of people taking the drug are always documented and compared to the side effects that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. Based on the studies of Adderall XR (a long-acting version of Adderall), the most common side effects included:

Adderall can also cause a temporary slowing of growth in children. This slowing of growth is usually minimal (less than an inch and less than two pounds). In time, children usually catch up to within normal limits.

I am finding in my elder years I need the sleep or else I usually come down with a bad cold. Other than that I have a tendancy to nod off behind the wheel when I'm tired, which seems like always nowadays. A few years back I was on Ocean Parkway weaving down the road in my truck when the trooper lit me up with his lights. Thankfully the lights were bright enough to wake me up.