Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
c4charlie

Merrill Creek

15 posts in this topic

Have off on Monday and as long as conditions are good, I am finally heading to MC. I bought a second trolling motor battery, I got a 27C and a 29C.

I think I am going to take my older son only who is 5 and somehow always manages to get the biggest fish.

Had a few questions since it will be the first time at a trolling motor lake.

I assume we will be good with a 50lb thrust on a 14ft aluminum V in 12MPH or less wind? I saw there are sunken trees, do you go into them or just fish outside of them? Any tips on the areas to focus for LMB and any other interesting fish other than trout. What is the preferred bait and is there a bait shop close to there. I am also going to be bringing a bunch of artificials.

Not looking for anyone's specific spots, just some tips so I don't waste too much battery power going in circles.

Thanks in advance.

You should be fine with 2 batteries and 50LbT. Just use common sense.

Some guys go into the trees, some don't. You can't get through the trees without bumping and rubbing them and there are a lot of submerged trees to hit and get hung-up on. The guys with the $25,000 fiberglass boats don't go into the trees but guys with the aluminum boats that don't mind a scrach on the paint do.

I don't fish MC much in the summer, but I would expect the standard stuff to work.

Lebanon Boat & Bait (Rt. 22) is on the way for you and they're very good. The guys that check people in at the MC launch ramp are also helpful.

Thanks Borris!

I am familiar with Lebanon. Any areas of the lake to avoid. Just looking for something like concentrate east of the lake, etc. I will ask at check in.

Going back to RV tonight. Hopefully will catch some rainbows tonight.

Charlie,

It would be very beneficial for you to get a lake map. As you head out from the boat ramp and bear to your right, you will see two very large points that extend far offshore. I have had good luck on those points throwing deep-diving crankbaits. However, those were rainy days and when I tried the techinique on suynny days, El Skunkador came around. Merrill Creek is extremely clear and light tackle is helpful. The lake has some quality smallmouth fishing but I have yet find a consistent formula for success.

All the guys I saw fishing there fished the outside line instead of going into the trees. Water is about 40' in that area if I remember correctly.

Good luck and have fun with your son !

View Post

Going back to RV tonight. Hopefully will catch some rainbows tonight.

Only one rainbow caught last night by me at RV. Then shifted focus to some nighttime LMB. Got a couple smaller ones but one nice one about 3 pounds on a jitterbug. Found a great spot where sunfish were slurping down some flies and LMBs were just crushing the sunfish. The explosions were intense. Problem was they were so focused on the sunnies that it was much more difficult to get them to bite top waters and minnow type crankbaits. If it wasn't so late, I would have re-rigged to catch a sunny and then tried to liveline it. I did get a tiny sunny on one of the small rapalas but it came off just as I was picking up the line. It was just so nice being around the action.

Regarding Merrill Creek, thanks for the tips. I keep looking at Monday's forecast and it is currently saying 10-15mph winds which is definitely a bit stronger than I would like for a trolling motor only lake.

I know about clear lakes, fish RV at least 3 times a week. Took me a while to figure out where the fish like to hang in the daytime. Don't get many trout in the day because I think it is more of a trolling game there. I finally got some trolling equipment but only have used it a couple times and no luck yet. Not sure I know exactly what I am doing yet with that.

Not sure if those winds are too strong on monday? I would prefer 5-10 or less for my first time. This is the second time I have planned on going so I may just go anyway, I got the second battery specifically for MC.

I finally went to Merrill last week and I really liked it. Found some nice spots. Wish it was open later. Fish really started to turn on as I had to get back to the dock. Took my 3 year old and we caught a ton of sunnies and some smallmouth bass. Was a bit choppy when we got there and then just 100% calm and beautiful. I went on Thur of last week.

It's really nice. I've been there twice (just recently too). The water is crystal clear so the fish don't hit till sundown...shame that they close at that point too.

I caught my first two bass ever there...a 14" and a 22". Largemouths. Lots of fun.

I'm definitely going to go back and try for other stuff like perch and trout.

I fish Round Valley a few times a week and I didn't think that the water was nearly as clear as Round Valley. It was windy for the first half of the day but even when the wind stopped, there was a lot of smaller green particles in the water and such which reduced the clarity.

View PostIts a really neat place....there are some really huge trout in there as well.

Phil L

Phil, Holy crahp, where you been man! It's been flipping years. Geoff is still around, he has two kids and is pretty tied up these days but he still has the sabre you built for him.

Hey there Rich...I am still around....still have my Grady in CM, a little guy on a trailer at home for FW and crabbin, and running two other bigger boats offshore when I can. Havent seen the surf up north probably in 5 or 6 years...actually sold all of my Lami's, Sabers, VS's and hundreds of wood plugs a couple years ago....just dont have the time with everything else going on.

Had a couple nice trips this spring/summer up Merrill with big lakers and smallies...

Phil L

I am going to go back again today. Took one little guy last time, going to take both little guys this time. I am sure will have my hands full but I am also certain they are going to have a great time.

Plan is to go to this spot where sunnies and small SMB live in good numbers then venture out to find some bigger fish in this spot that looked very promising at the end of the day last time out. Didn't have enough time to fish it because I was worried about the place closing and getting off the water. I was the last boat off and my brand new 29C? battery had no problem with my 50lb thrust going to each end of the lake and back. I didn't have to go to the spare 27C. I am starting to really like these trolling motor only lakes!

I like the serenity. Kids are young 3, and 5, so in order to keep the serenity, I let them know if they argue or fight, the bears will come out of the forrest. Haven't actually done that but it may be a good idea for today. Let you know how I do.

Kids had a fantastic time. I kept them catching almost the entire time. Lots of work with two little guys catching, hooking/unhooking, baiting/re-baiting, untangling, etc and making sure the boat doesn't go astray. Most important is that they had a great time! I got to do a few casts. They caught some small LMB, they were obsessed with the shallows today. Then we went to some bigger water and caught huge sunfish. They were working their arms with the fight those scrappy fish put up when they get over 8". They caught a ton, also a rock bass.

We got to see lots of deer, bald eagle, white seagull type bird, those little diving birds that make you think fish are jumping out of the water but then you realize it is just them, a nice heron who was very pissed when we took his spot (they are loud), saw about 20 hot air balloons go right overhead, one actually landed in MC briefly and then went back up which was odd.

They loved it and boy am I tired. Got some great pics and video as well!

View PostKids had a fantastic time. I kept them catching almost the entire time. Lots of work with two little guys catching, hooking/unhooking, baiting/re-baiting, untangling, etc and making sure the boat doesn't go astray. Most important is that they had a great time! I got to do a few casts. They caught some small LMB, they were obsessed with the shallows today. Then we went to some bigger water and caught huge sunfish. They were working their arms with the fight those scrappy fish put up when they get over 8". They caught a ton, also a rock bass.

We got to see lots of deer, bald eagle, white seagull type bird, those little diving birds that make you think fish are jumping out of the water but then you realize it is just them, a nice heron who was very pissed when we took his spot (they are loud), saw about 20 hot air balloons go right overhead, one actually landed in MC briefly and then went back up which was odd.

They loved it and boy am I tired. Got some great pics and video as well!

smokin clapping.gif