Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbjints

Never been fishing but I would love to learn.

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

My father used to go fishing often and for some reason he might have only asked me once to go with him and I declined his offer and he never asked me again. Monday was 7 years that he has passed away and I regret not going with him but I also wish he would have asked me again.

I now have three children of my own (two boys and my baby girl) and I would love to learn the sport of fishing so that I could possibly use it as a way for me to bond with my children. That is not my only reason though. Fishing just looks like a very fun and relaxing way to kick back and have a few laughs and it must feel great catching your first fish and it must feel greater every catch thereafter.

What is the best way for me to learn? Some have recommended going out on a boat and some have said that it isn't rocket science and that i could teach myself how to tie a knot and fish on my own. What I'd like to do is go off shore somewhere and teach my self and hopefully catch my first fish. I am on Long Island and I know there are many places to fish here but where could I go where I won't embarrass myself?

Oh, one last thing what is the difference between angling, fly fishing, etc? The different clubs have really confused me. I have also found my father's fishing pole and tackle box, could I post pics of what's inside the tackle box and of the fishing pole and maybe someone could shed some light on what I have as far as fishing stuff?

Thanks all in advance.

I'm fairly new myself and while books and just getting out there to try it are great, I found hiring good guide taught me more in one day then five or six days struggling by myself. Now I'm fairly decent at freshwater fishing and have started down the surf path just recently.

Depending on the age of your kids I'd say go for something they can land a bunch of for their first time. Pan fish in a freshwater stream or lake are very easy to catch and the kids will have a blast their first trip (important if you want to get them excited about fishing).

Good luck!

Welcome. You owe us a joke.

I think its important to figure out where you want to start.

I'd take a peek at the LI forum. Take a read at what people catch, fish with, when etc. If you decide stripers are what you want to catch, you'll have an idea of what you'll need. That search function at the top is one of the most valuable things you'll use on SOL. That and asking questions.

One of the easiest ways would be to go out on a charter/party boat. You'll learn some and meet some people.

DEFINITELY find a good B&T and get to know those guys. You may be able to get cheaper tackle elsewhere but you'll get tons of info over time. Its a good way to find a good starter set up.

Good luck and soak it in. You'll get addicted and hopefully be able to share this great love we all have with your kids. beers.gif

I'd say definitely post a picture of what you currently have from your Dad's collection. This way you can hopefully utilize that stuff to get out and see if you like it (I'm sure you will love it as soon as you land a fish!). We can also tell you what kind of fishing he was doing with it.

You can learn how to tie knots from many sources online easily.

http://www.****.com/trilene... tedknots.com

The best way to learn is to fish with someone who has experience fishing.

Welcome to the site! It's nice to have you with us.

First, I'm sorry to hear about your dad passing, and secondly. I'm sorry that he did not ask you again.

I grew up fishing with my dad, he had a charter boat out of Sheepshead Bay, and it was part of me, growing up.smile.gif

So, you want to go fishing? There is a New York forum on this site, check that out. Now, there is fresh water, and salt water, and both have their own following. Some do both. I, only salt for me.smile.gif And to narrow that down even more, Striped bass, exclusively!

Stick around here, type in the words, "striped bass fishing", many surfcast, and many boat fish. I do the surfcasting thing, today.

So if you want to fish, learn the basics and get out there to do it. Because much of what we do is OJT. We learn as we go.smile.gif

Hmmm..if I lived near you, I'd gather you up, and teach you the basics. Maybe one of the LI troops will step up to the plate.

My recommendation is, start simple, learn the ropes, and then build on that. Most of us started out soaking bait for panfish with very basic tackle, and that's a good model. Fishing for top tier sportfish, like stripers, trout, etc gets sophisticated and technically demanding pretty quickly.

You know me and my dad were both avid fishermen. He never asked me to go and I never wanted to go with him. When he got cancer I met up with him in Idaho for a chance to fish before he died. To this day I dont know why we did not fish together. Its a dad and son thing gone wrong.

These stories break my heart as I can relate.

#1. Do not worry about being embarrased or looking foolish. If you read this board too closely you will see alot of people giving guys a hard time for being new. If you look very closely however, you will find there are many many people here who will be willing to help.

#2. I would avoid a boat trip, unless you are planning to buy a boat. Boat fishing and surf fishing are distant cousins. Much of what you would learn on a boat will not translate. You need to keep it simple from the beach as you learn to cast, tie knots, and which rod you need.

#3 I know people say it aint brain surgery, but let me tell you it is very complicated and never stops getting more complex. Take your time and understand its NOT easy, so dont get discouraged.

#4 If you go with the kids, keep it fun. Try walking along the beach just fluking and shooting the breeze with the kids.

#5 Hire a guide. But make sure he/she understands your ability level and expectations. If you are too intimidated or think you will be embaressed to admit your level, think again. Be honest and you will be amazed.

#6 Lastly, figure out where, and what you want to fish for. Dont try going crazy learning everything. Pick a beach to get familiar with and a species to target. If its striper, read a book. Zeno's book, DJ Mullers book, and the Bible, Frank Daignault Striper Surf will greatly lessen your learning curve.

If you are ever in NJ give me a shout and I would be happy to spend some time going over the basics, it would be my pleasure.

Good Luck and be patient with the kids. Dont push them, but dont let these years slip away my friend. I try hard not to repeat the mistakes of my father and emulate the good that was in him. Tight lines.

Welcome.

You have your reasons for wanting to learn to fish, and that's great.

I can tell you that this site is fantastic for getting advice.

Use the search feature a lot and you will find that most of your questions have been answered in many different ways.

And always feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

I'm not sure where you are, but I think you should decide what type of fishing you want to do, before you spend a boat load of money. You can search that as well. lots of good advice on starter set ups for all different types of fishing here.

I'll leave it there for now.

Go out and have fun.

And nice job trying to do something with your kids.

Good luck

If you're on Long Island you have a couple of ways to go if you want to fish from shore with the kids.

Light tackle in freshwater and saltwater. For freshwater you will need a fishing license, available from most bait and tackle stores or county offices. Kids under 16 are free. A light tackle outfit, 7 foot spinning rod and matching spinning reel for you, and depending on the age of the kids, something as simple as a "snapper pole"-- just a bamboo pole with a line attached with a bobber and hook. You can use this for sunfish in freshwater and "snappers" (small bluefish) in saltwater. This kind of fishing is fun for kids, and usually the fishing is fast enough to keep them interested. You can get earthworms for sunfish found in most freshwater ponds and lakes, or frozen spearing for snappers and fish from places like fishing piers on the bayside of Jones Beach, Captree, and many harbor areas on both the North and South Shore. Many places, including Jones Beach have "Snapper Derbies" for kids in the summer. Bait is available in any bait and tackle store for SW fishing. You could use the light tackle set up for snappers with bait plus bobber or small metal tins, as well as throwing small lures for largemouth bass in freshwater, and small lures, bucktails etc. in saltwater for fluke, small stripers and bluefish in sheltered waters out of the wind (north shore, back bays on the south shore)

Surf fishing- something like a 10 foot spinning rod with 20 pound test, matched up with an appropriate spinning reel would be good for fishing both the North and South Shores. This would be a lower percentage game than sunfish or snappers in terms of catching. You could fish with bait while your at the beach with the kids. You'd want to set up away from folks swimming, and be careful casting on a crowded beach. This is heavier tackle and would be good if you wanted to target striped bass and bluefish from shore. There is the possibility you could pick up a small shark (dogfish), sea robins, skates as well. This will be pretty boring for the kids since it may be several trips before anything actually happens. But if you tie it in with some days at the beach and keep them occupied building sandcastles etc, there's a good chance that something will come along and eat your bait. You can use a sand spike to hold the rod while you spend time with the kids, but get a long one and set the drag of the reel loose enough so that it isn't yanked into the water when something does come along. You could also use this set up for casting plugs and tins for stripers and blues.

Depending where you are on Long island, there are many Bait and Tackle shops that could get you started with the basics. An excellent one if you're in Nassau and go to Jones Beach is Causeway Bait and Tackle in Wantaugh. They can get you set up with gear and advice on where to go, what to use etc. and have bait and such. They are also close to some freshwater ponds (Twin Lakes) if you want to try freshwater fishing with the kids.

Good luck!

mark

jb;

First, welcome to SOL.

Where ar you located? Do you think you want to fish fresh or salt water?

Find a guy and sit and talk to him about fishing. That face tiome will proove to be very important. Ask a bunch of questions.

Red all the posts here that you think apply to you. If you run into one of our internet cowboys pitching negativity just skip right over it and keep reading. You will learn in no time.

Once you start you will then beable to ask very trageted questions with very specific answers coming to you.

jbjints....GREAT job wanting to take up fishing and have it as a part of your life with your kids.

My greatest memories growing up were of me fishing with my dad and my brother. I am lucky enough to still have my dad, and we still go fishing every chance we get.

Don't feel foolish or embarrassed. The main thing is spending time with those kids, whether you catch fish every time out or not.

Post a pic of your dad's gear. There are plenty of folks around here willing to help.

Good Luck!

Welcome to SOL- you are in good hands here, this is a great starting point. My recommendations are start small- very small. I mean find a local pond(freshwater) get some cheap gear from a B&T shop. Start with worms, hook & bobber set up- take your kids with you. Pack a lunch,snack fishing gear-ask the B&T shop how to cast,reel in, bait your hook- the basics of your gear. Then have at it. You might be terribly frustrated at first, but like anything else keep at it and it's gets easier. After you feel a bit more confident I'd try a saltwater fishing pier or something like that to get you started with saltwater fishing. Again, a local B&T shop will guide you in the right direction. I DON'T recommend a big chain store- then don't know much more than you. Go to a mom&pop local B&T shop and tell them straight out what your situation is- they get those kind of questions ALL the time they know what to do. If they don't help you out then find another B&T shop that will. I've been to a million of them and they are all mostly willing to help you out- you're also dropping some coin in their pockets too! Anyway, start there- you should be fine. In a couple of outings if you still like it keep going, keep reading, keep checking SOL out and you'll learn stuff everyday.

Good luck!

welcome--I am somewhat new myself. Haven't caught a keeper striper yet but catching keep flounder, croaker etc. I want to be able to fish with my grandson in about two/three years. Go to WalMart, or wherever, get a cheap rod/reel combo-8-9 feet. Will work off jetty, pier, from shore, some surf. Buy a few rigs for bait--surf, top bottom, flounder, , a few lures-yozuri-bombers, plastic swim shads and eels. get some cheap leader material and learn how to make them. Go out fishing, get frustrated, loose some rigs, ask lots of questions. At the end of summer go buy some better equipment. Go out in daytime at first-might not catch anything but you can see what you are doing. then try early mornings or late evening-then try night. When you can figure out what you are doing right and wrong, then go out with a guide. Working with a B&T is fine but be careful. I trusted my local B&T-but like a lot of experienced fisherman, including this site, they got a bit arrogant and sarcastic with beginners--just put up with it. Go to more than one b&T-they may/will try to oversell you on some equipment. Its a lot of fun, just invest a year in learning what you don't know-then you can learn what you need to know. Find someone to fish with--could be someone you work with, church, social circle, local club. keep reading the posts on this site, and other sites. At some point the comments on rods, reels, technique, and equipment will begin to make sense. hope that helps.smile.gif

Welcome to SOl,you will find a wealth info here as the above posts indicate.You didnt state where on LI you are from.As suggested visit a local B&T and tell them what kind of fishing you plan to start out with.Stay away from the big box stores as Ive seen them sell tuna rods to people who want to fish for trout.Start out simple and dont buy too much stuff as once you get a little experience you might find some of it useless.If you post what kind of fishing you want to start out with you will get some ideas.Good fishing reels and rods are not cheap but you get a decent outfit to start with that wont break the first time out.