Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hairy Nosed Wombat

#9 Reel suggestions

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I need a reel to put on 9' #9 rod, that will be used mostly in tropical Australia, on some pretty fast moving fish. I really like very large arbors with lo weight spools, because i find that their faster pick up and lower inertia is a big benefit with fast moving fish. I'd like to keep the reel weight down to about 8 Oz. My preference is for a carbonfibre drag system - i'm a little sceptical about cork. Are their any stand out reels that fit this description? What i would really like i think is a Loop Speed Runner, but i don't think i could justify the cost.

Ross BG 4 or 5, there's a few on fleabay being sold as-new w/ an extra spool, line, and backing. Momentums look and feel sweet but I've haven't fished one ... I use the BG 4 on my 9 and love it. Have fun down-under!

I know the store i question with the Momentums, and have bought gear from them before and shipping is acceptable. I have been looking at that reel, but i think it is a bit overengineered for my purposes. The fish i would be targeting are rarely bigger than 10lb, but move very fast. I'd prioritise a larger arbor over outright stopping power, to protect tippets. I've owned a litespeed, and think it would be a very good option esp: as they seem so smooth on start up.

I use a scientific anglers #9 on my 9wt. It is an old classic and very light weight alumium reel. For the price you can't go wrong about $65.00 back in 1975.

The Shilton SL-6 is a great reel at the 8oz weight you specified but it's a bit expensive.

It has a cork drag but it's one of the best.

just-reels has them for sale and many other brands.

I just looked up Colton. I was unfamiliar with them. They are selling chinese reels sold by a different distributor down here. They are sold down here considerably cheaper - not often you guys pay more for something! Identical appearance and specifications etc.

I might buy one - you guys think they are alright? They are not popular down here. I know the Shiltons and really like them - they are very popular and the price isn't so bad.

View PostI just looked up Colton. I was unfamiliar with them. They are selling chinese reels sold by a different distributor down here. They are sold down here considerably cheaper - not often you guys pay more for something! Identical appearance and specifications etc.

I might buy one - you guys think they are alright? They are not popular down here. I know the Shiltons and really like them - they are very popular and the price isn't so bad.

Not made in China.........

View PostI just looked up Colton. I was unfamiliar with them. They are selling chinese reels sold by a different distributor down here. They are sold down here considerably cheaper - not often you guys pay more for something! Identical appearance and specifications etc.

Wrong, There is probably a guy down your way selling the knock off of the first Colton reel. They seem to be everywhere now. The reels seen on the site were discontinued shortly after the copy was discovered. Please show me where these are made in China!

Yeah, thats a different reel - looks very nice too. Didn't find that one on the website. How much are those ones sold for? The chinese reel that we had down here looked just like one i think was called CRG or something like that - absolutely identical. I 'spose with cnc it's very easy to do a rip off these days, and fly reels are going to be a prime target.

View PostYeah, thats a different reel - looks very nice too. Didn't find that one on the website. How much are those ones sold for? The chinese reel that we had down here looked just like one i think was called CRG or something like that - absolutely identical. I 'spose with cnc it's very easy to do a rip off these days, and fly reels are going to be a prime target.

You nailed it. I think I even know the company you are refering to. Discovery something if I remember right. They were one of the first we saw. Technology has made copying anything pretty easy now days. Lots of guys running Surf-cam software. It's all how good they are with it. If you gave me about a week or two I could copy just about any reel you could think of. If I can do it I assume just about anyone with the right equipment could do the same.

Tight lines, Bob

Yeah, i'm sure they sell it as a discovery reel.

I also got an email a couple of months ago from the guys at CTS Rods, saying that they had employed a chinese guy for a few months, that he got their designs and contact lists and had taken off back to china as part of a copying operation. They had been informed about him by their distributors after they were contacted by him trying to sell them chinese made copies of CTS blanks. CTS were in the process of redesigning their range and updating their manufactuing, partly to avoid having to compete against chinese rip-offs.

He was obviously effectively there as a industrial spy, and you wonder how much the chinese officialdom endorse these operations. Significant recent chinese economic success has been based on what is effectively a system of government protected industrial intellectual property theft.

I think they recognise they still lack that vital skill of innovation.

I will absolutely never buy a chinese rip off of anything. I am happy to buy things made in china (there isn't much choice!) but i ain't going to buy stolen property, and that's what it is!