Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UCanCallMeJohnson

Why I won't join the AMSA organization

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I could not follow two of the rules set by them. In particular the one that states an AMSA member will help anyone they find on the beach in distress (specifically a vehicle stuck for me).

I am the first to help someone in trouble on the beach but I ultimately have to be free to be the judge in that situation. Too many times I have helped a moron temporarily. When I see someone stuck, it has usually been of their own volition (no air down).

I don't even ask anymore if they aired down (just gives them one more nail in their coffin of credibilty when they lie about that), I act like I'm going to help and put my air gauge on that fully inflated tire, smile and wish them good luck as I leave.

I understand that most probably feel that is pretty miniscule but I have been raised to believe that being a member of a community is a choice that entails following all of the rules.

The other of those rules that I pretty much refused to abide by was leashing my sweet Yellow Lab on the Island when she was alive. I could see it now, me on YouTube on a weekday in December or January being filmed by a DOW member violating the leash law with my AMSA tag in the frame cwm33.gif .

I do applaud what this organization does and although it hurts their cause deeply when the people there are chastised endlessly here, it's not my say in what is happening that could stop it (them).

Fortunately for the organization, these non-members (including me) will not be an embarassment they will be responsible for when violations by them are brought to public view.

JJJ

I don't understand, seems like superficial reasons to me.

deflating your tires, is important, but is not a rule or a condition of being on the beach. If you have some personal thing about not helping people who don't deflate their tires, thats your business. It's understandable, why risk potential damage to your own vehicle, for someone else's oversight? It seems offering a phone, or offering to call the ranger for the person who is stuck would count as "offering assistance to anyone"

Leashing your dog is a rule for being on the beach. I'm not preaching, as i technically break this rule from time to time.

You raise a good point though about appearances, I don't think it would matter if you had a AMSA tag on or not. It would reflect poorly for fisherman either way, since it's a violation of the Park's rules.

View PostI could not follow two of the rules set by them. In particular the one that states an AMSA member will help anyone they find on the beach in distress (specifically a vehicle stuck for me).

Fortunately for the organization, these non-members (including me) will not be an embarassment they will be responsible for when violations by them are brought to public view.

JJJ

Are not Possums, Plugs, Steve Colemans etc, opinions (sometimes misfacts)about this matter well known and published in numeration on this and other forums. I feel it is time for TimS and Bill Klein to step in and ask these guys to stop publicly criticizing the AMSA once and for all.

Are any of these people members of the AMSA? I think the rule here of not criticizing the owner or moderators of this website should start to apply to the above fellows in regards to the AMSA organization. There is nothing positive that can or will happen from the repeated bashing of an organization that already knows what and what not to do when it comes to dealing with bird closures.

On a personal note : I have nothing against the AMSA and appreciate their support but the combination of your statements is confusing....

I feel it is time for TimS and Bill Klein to step in and ask these guys to stop publicly criticizing the AMSA once and for all.

and just why is that ??

am i not allowed to have an opinion and voice it ??

and just what puts amsa on such a pedestal that their shouldn't be any criticism ??

derf

Derf I must comment on your statement about the pedestal.

We do understand that we are going to take some positive as well as negative criticizms. I also agree and respect your opinions. Voicing them is what will help us gain knowledge as we move forward. What appears to some as bashing is being viewed as constructive criticizms, thank you guys.

bill when i talked about ppl camping in the bull pen should have to register at the ranger station ,an there should be a limit on the number of camp spots , you sent me an email from hell , i'm not going to repeat any of it here

for i belive it would be little myself . if the presdent of an organizion can't control himself , i don't want anything to do with it , you tell them what you said in the mail.

View Post

I am the first to help someone in trouble on the beach but I ultimately have to be free to be the judge in that situation. Too many times I have helped a moron temporarily. When I see someone stuck, it has usually been of their own volition (no air down).

I don't even ask anymore if they aired down (just gives them one more nail in their coffin of credibilty when they lie about that), I act like I'm going to help and put my air gauge on that fully inflated tire, smile and wish them good luck as I leave.

wow. Thank God the world isn't completely full of people who act like you. There's a difference between ignorance and volition, and part of being a sportsman is helping people who don't know any better -not condemning them because you *think* they chose to be in that situation. Who chooses to get stuck on the beach? whoopie, you knew something they didn't, and now you want to sit in judgment?

That kind of thinking will catch up with you. Maybe not right away, but I assure you, it will.

Just to save face of the chair of the President as was point out, Bill Justice President never sent an e-mail to vaearl, therefore there is nothing to say either here on this or any other forum about the content of any e-mail. I did just yesterday send him a private message explaining the same and this was first time I made contact with him. The e-mail was sent by someone else maybe,............ but not Bill Justice. And was not the views of myself. They were the views and opinions of another registered user of this forum.

I have sent a private message to vaearl asking him to look back at the e-mail he is referring to just to clarify in him mind that what I am saying is true.

Sorry for any misunderstanding this might have caused. I am sure that vaearl will also chime in on this too.

the email was sent buy an A T Justice amsa director # 622 ums treasurer.

it might have been my mistake to accuses MR B Justice of this an i apolagize to him for useing his name as that i saw justice as the name ,an didn't realize that there could be more in your organizeation ,maybe as pres you can real in your directors, for very offenceive emails , i'm sorry B justice

I never ride by someone in trouble....never (even if they drove by while I was airing down wink.gif ). AMSA has alot of good people who love the beach as we do.....no need to bash them. Yeah they inflate the count when they stay on the beach all weekend but they are playing by the rules....in fact it's a lifestyle I have tried to talk my wife into for many years now....just can't convince here a camper is the way to go.