Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Unemployment, and the self employed?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Back in January, I closed by business down after nearly 21 years sold off all my equipment, have been fishing ever since.

The closing wasn't by my choice. The mall in which my business was located was sold, and my section was to be removed, renovated for a change of use by the new owners.

Since that time, I'll bet I've had a dozen people ask me why I'm not collecting?headscratch.gif Frankly, I never gave it any thought, and I always assumed since I was self employed, I'm simply not eligible.

But just for the sake of discussion, can the self employed collect?

View PostBack in January, I closed by business down after nearly 21 years sold off all my equipment, have been fishing ever since.

The closing wasn't by my choice. The mall in which my business was located was sold, and my section was to be removed, renovated for a change of use by the new owners.

Since that time, I'll bet I've had a dozen people ask me why I'm not collecting?headscratch.gif Frankly, I never gave it any thought, and I always assumed since I was self employed, I'm simply not eligible.

But just for the sake of discussion, can the self employed collect?

Well, did you pay unemployment insurance while you were working?

If so you should be able to if you paid into it... Im just guessing though

View PostWell, did you pay unemployment insurance while you were working?

If so you should be able to if you paid into it... Im just guessing though

Nope, never paid a penny into it. At least not for myself.

The ironic part is, several of my employees are collecting since I've closed.cwm27.gif Just not me.

But, many people keep telling me since the closing was not of my doing, I could be eligible.

View PostNope, never paid a penny into it. At least not for myself.

The ironic part is, several of my employees are collecting since I've closed.cwm27.gif Just not me.

But, many people keep telling me since the closing was not of my doing, I could be eligible.

You could call Unemployment and ask---but you will never get through to talk to a live person. cwm27.gif

Best bet would be to go to the Plymouth office and inquire in person.

If you get there around 3 PM, however, you'll run the risk of some fat bastage who looks like he is chained to his desk telling you that they're "too busy" and they won't be able to talk to you before their 4:30 closing time shakehead.gif

No, I've never collected either--but the wife has. wink.gif

I deliver mail to an ice cream place on my route, in the winter months, when it's closed for the season, the owner collects....always has.

I've never thought twice about it.

If you paid yourself as a company employee, you should be able to collect. If you just drew money from the business as an officer or owner, don't think so. Either way it doesn't cost any thing to open a claim but time.

View PostPS........You had to be paying into unenjoyment, if your help could collect. Whether you paid in for you, they will tell you.

I think he knows that, he paid in for his employees but never for himself. Plenty of owners do that...