Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JT5282

Penn 9/0 clicker slides out of click

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hio, JT.....if you have the schematic, cool. If not, part number 35 click tongue joins the spring which appears to be part of the sideplate.

Over time, the click tongue wears, or the spring loses its factory shape.

Yes, you can do it. Go slow and be careful if you need to rebend the spring.

A new click tongue is about 2.00 and stamps, if it's beyond economical reapir. I dont know about the spring.... a Penn guru hopefully will chime in, on availability if it's now out there seperate, instead of part of the sideplate.

If no Penn Gurus show up, i'll do as you suggested.

Thank you!

View PostHio, JT.....if you have the schematic, cool. If not, part number 35 click tongue joins the spring which appears to be part of the sideplate.

Over time, the click tongue wears, or the spring loses its factory shape.

Yes, you can do it. Go slow and be careful if you need to rebend the spring.

A new click tongue is about 2.00 and stamps, if it's beyond economical reapir. I dont know about the spring.... a Penn guru hopefully will chime in, on availability if it's now out there seperate, instead of part of the sideplate.

not a penn guru, but have fixed enough senators to puke at the thought...

in the left sideplate there is an arrow shaped pawl that rides on the spool "gear" and clicks. the spring that holds it in place and makes the "click" by shoving the pawl back against the spool gear is the circular bronze looking part that IIRC is molded into the sideplate. It's not serviceable so replace it means you have to change the sideplate, again IIRC (if it's held in by a screw you can replace the spring)

So pull the pawl out by removing the C-clip that holds it onto the clicker button shaft. Once it's out of the way, bend the two ends of that round spring back together. add a light coat of crease on the pawl and the spool clicker gear, reassemble and test. You want it to stay engaged and sound loudly but not be too stiff. There's really not much to screw up on this one, just note which screws go where when you remove the sideplate, IIRC two are longer than the rest.

Along the same lines... How do you remove the clicker button & pawl from an older Senator? I have the same problem w/ a (1/0) reel. Not seeing a c-clip inside the sideplate.

Thanks