Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JT5282

Park City Utah Flyfishing? Any experiences in that area?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

If anyone has any advice on trout fishing in that area, I could sure use some places and suggestions!

Too many times I have traveled a great distance [i'm in Florida] and then spent too much time figuring out where to go and how to fish an area.

Thanks!

Chuck

Two significant rivers: the Provo and the Weber (pronounced Weeber). #18 & 20 Blue winged Olives are usually the ticket. Google a shop called Trout Bum II; call them for up to date info.

I used to have to work every two or three weeks in SLC and would go to the Provo in the evenings, in the summer the lower section had alot of tubers and canoes in it but the middle section above the reservoir was full of fish and nice dry fly water, I did well on stimulators and caddis imitations. Then if you have time to drive there, try out the Green River, that is a river everyone should make the time to fish.

Every time I've been to Utah I've stayed in Ogden, about an hour north of Park City.

They've got the the Weber (Weeber) and Ogden rivers going right through the city with great access, and can even fish right across from the devils slide.

Maybe half an hour north of Ogden is Willards Bay on the Salt Lake that apparently has amazing "wiper" (striped/white bass hybrid) fishing.

Also in Ogden is Mt. Ben Lomond, which is the mountain featured in the Paramount Pictures logo. A two hour hike to the top of it or most of the mountains in the area will give you breathtaking views of the Salt Lake and Salt Flats.

One of the most beautiful and awe inspiring areas in all of our country.

Just make sure you take your "High Point" beer of choice.

DSCF0130.jpg

Following the Weber River through the Weber Canyon

DSCF0134.jpg

A view of the Ogden River (bottom left) from Mt. Ogden.

DSCF0100.jpg

Ice fishing just east of Ogden

Lived in Park City for 6 years. The Provo is easier to get to, and has better access than the Weber. The middle section as mentioned has less traffic although the lower holds better fish. Take Route 40 from Park City to Heber, when you pass the Jordanelle Res, you will hit a stop light. Head left and go up towards the dam, lots of parking and great spots to fish. If you take a right there is also access about 50 yards down on the right.

another option would be to drive out the Unitah Mountains and fish some of the smaller creeks.

as mentioned Troutbum2 is a money shop, great people there.