Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff W

Frustration

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I was on a night trip this past weekend in Southern Maine, silversides were all pushed up on the shore and so thick I couldn't even get a plug or fly through without having a few stuck on the hook. Stripers everywhere, rushing up in less than a foot of water and grabbing mouthfulls. Threw everything I had-poppers, tins, bombers, sluggos, various flys, couldn't buy even a hit. This went on for 4+ hours, while cool to watch by the time I left I was ready to kill someone.

Anyone have any suggestions in a situation like this?

Not too much you can do in that situation, maybe snag a bunch of the silver sides and put them all on one hook and tossed it outside the pool of siversides..........

ditto..........mid june my sons and I spent the day trying everything and only got macs, arouind 10pm when I moored my boat my boys who were waiting at the dock, werewatching what seemed to be hundreds of stripers eating silversides right at their feet. wouldn't touch anything else. so, I would also like to know what would of worked.

I'm curious what some others will say on this...

Seems to me, when they are really keyed on a specific bait its hard as heck to get em to go for what we throw.

I'm thinking that's a situation where a fly used as a dropper off a top water or maybe even behind a tin could work???

Take a tin or a bright bucktail and toss it out and let it sink. Jig it slow along the bottom. Largemouth slow. You will probably still end up with nothing, but this sometimes spooks up the larger fish in the school.

I've been there. The tough part about fishing small bait like that is that I think the bass aren't keying in on any one fish, but slashing through the bait with their mouth open and just eating what gets slurped in.

Because of that, getting them to hone in on your lure is very difficult.

I'll try small tins first. If that doesn't work then I'll try a few different plugs- cast to the edge of the feed and sort of limp the plug out, like its a wounded fish trying to escape. This will sometimes catch the attention of a bass. I've had good luck using the white Surface Tension lure doing this, retreive it with some tip action so it bobs and darts- good imitation of a frantic fleeing baitfish.

Finally I'll go loud- something like a pencil popper or big metal lip with a splashy retreive. Anything to get their attention.

It doesn't always work!

try fishing the outside of the bait fish school, and work top water plugs slower and alot of jerks imatate a dying or injured baitfish there are always fish on the outside of the schools not as many but they are there smile.gif

everyone is always tempted to throw right in the middle of the school of bait but its not the best place to be . give the outside a try. Tight Lines !!

Ditto with what's been said. I 1st go with smaller metal like a 1oz crippled herring or. A small kastmaster. After that if I had no luck I will get out one of my biggest metal lip plugs or bomber. Make it look like a mack or another fish feeding on the smaller bait on the outside of the bait ball

The last two suggestions are good ones, combined.

A swimming plug with a teaser can elicit a strike when the fish are picky- either out of competitiveness for the teaser or as an opportunity to gobble the larger fish in pursuit- you never know which they'll hit.

This is a common fall scenerio. I agree with Rocket500. What has worked for me is to use a big plug with a very fast and erratic retrieve. If macks are mixed in with the silver sides use a big mackerel looking plug. My thought is that they it is a total reactionary strike. You can also put a dropper on with it.

Two things that have worked for me in situations like this in the past are:

1 - use a jig or large tin and let it sink below the bait giving it a small twitch once in a while on the way down.

2 - Put on a big pencil popper and make it thrash like mad around the edge of the bait.