New here. Anyone fish Narrow Bay?

Rate this topic

CB900SS

Hey everyone, my name is Ben and this seems like a great forum. I just figured I would start a thread to give a little introduction to myself.

I took a two year break from serious fishing and decided this year I need to get my rear end down to the water and catch some bass again! I am originally a north shore fisherman but purchased a home last year that's a 1/4 mile away from narrow bay in Mastic Beach... Right by Smith Point bridge.

My first time out to a local spot last month I landed a 29" striper in the bay. I caught plenty of short bass after that and had a heck of a fight with a 32" blue at the same spot... Along with 20 or so cocktail blues. I do all of my fishing with lures off the beach... I actually got some nice waders and started using them the past few weeks.

But things have really slowed down and that's what got me searching for a fishing forum. Does anyone else fish narrow bay and been having better success than I have the past few weeks?

Maybe I need to get out to smith point and get in the ocean? I have the truck for it but my financial situation right now probably won't let me get the permit.

I can't wait for the fall. highfive.gif

I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)

I fish down that way fairly often. Problem this time of year is the boats. It's skinny water over there, and the boat traffic makes a lot of noise. You're luck is usually better on a night tide, more so than some other spots.

If you want solid local info, before you go down stop by Smith Poing B&T and talk to Craig for a bit. He knows that area better than just about anyone I've met. Nice guy to chat with, and he won't steer you wrong.

Saving the world, one skell at a time.
LIBBA #1384

Thanks for the replies. I have been night fishing, day fishing, just fishing all the time. I'm unemployed right now so I have plenty of free time, hopefully for not much longer though.

I use Smith Point B&T, Dicks... I talk to them all. I read in the fishing report they both said bass are being caught on live eel.

I got out early in the morning today, hit under the smith point bridge and a local spot by some marshes and the nature preserve. NO LUCK! Plenty of small bait fish though. frown.gif

I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)

Use a polaris popper at day break

On outgoing tide at the mouth of the bay

I don't fish there

But with these conditions work for me a lot of times.

reason at day break is less boats

And more of chance a bass exploding on that popper at that time

• 5 years later...

well this is probably not going toget through because the thread is so old, this my first post and i also will be 1/4 to1/2 mile from narrow bay, i am in the middle of closing on a house on elder dr., been upstate for 30 yrs and am looking for local fishing info as i plan to be spending alot of time by the bay and ocean. any help would be appreciated, hope to find some fishing friends in the area. thanks john

You're in a good location to find new fishing friends. Yes, we fish the area of the Bridge. I do think that angling in the area is pretty much done for 2014. There may be herring around that area, and there may be some bass with them; another harbor area had some two days ago. That said, I echo the recommendation above to visit Smith Point B&T and look for Craig, if anything's going on, he'll know it.

He might be vacationing just now, the last time I was there an older fella was minding the store. So? Go anyway. Close on the house, attend to the season and the honeydew stuff, see you in the spring.