Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DDRRedneck500

new lures im working on any tips?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

i've been working on these two lures for a couple days now, and have been having a blast trying all new things on these lures. part of the reason i'm just starting to do this, is that i justnow got access to the parental units old carving tools. and now i want to go all out with these two, and i need youre advice. What else do you think i should do with these before getting them painted and finished? im thinking of trying to carve scales onto them but am at a loss for how-it may be out of my league. any tips on trying to carve scales? anyone else ever try it?

thanks for any input.

as for the paintjob, im thinking of asking benny raw about it as i know he had a pretty good deal going earlier with sending him two and painting them and sending back one.

the lures.

DSC00583.jpg

I think at this point I would be test swimming them to insure they did what I wanted them to do. Adjust the belly weight, hooks, etc until I got the action, and then paint them up. Shape reminds me of a red eye (rock bass). Might make a good paint scheme.

Jigman

try to cut /carve/dremel the rear of each scale in a 1/2 circle ...

( ( ( ( ( (

( ( ( ( ( (

or a fuller C shape overlapping the open end of the C so its a closed

chain

CCCCCC

CCCCCC

CCCCCC

nice work beers.gif

Those look great, I've done a couple attempts at scales but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble and I don't think it would help the plug swim. If you'd like me to paint them, I'll do it gratis, I'd hate to see you give up one of those beauties that you worked so hard on.smile.gif

They also resemble the shape and size of a choggie (cunner). People find choggies in the bellies of stripers all the time. I'll bet they'd catch in the canal! wink.gif Though I doubt I'd throw something so pretty into where you'd have a 90% chance of losing them to the rocks cwm31.gif

Thats some nice work you got going there!

I would have to agree with everyone else, dont do the scales. I have seen lures with carved scales and I thought it didnt look near as good as just a paint job. If you want to do scales though you can always foil over a scale mesh.

Also another thing make sure these puppies swim, it sure is a pain to do all kinds of work just to find out the lure wont swim

Goodluck, Jacob

They look great but the rear hook might not be effective. Not much room between the point and the dorsal fin. Might want to try moving the shaft of the look as close as you can to the dorsal to increase the gap. Might make it swim funny though. If it does I would skip the rear hook all together and maybe go with a bigger belly treble and some weight if you need to compensate for removing that hook.

After what you two conspired to build, no cat can be trusted not to want to get at them! Those are really nice, not your everyday plug, that's for sure. Kudos to the carver and the finisher!!