Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pierfisherman

Shimano Calcutta(TE and B)

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I'm not a fan of the TE. I killed one in less than a season (I take very good care of my equipment too). I like the B's more but my Luna's are all I carry now.

It seems like everybody else that has a TE loves it though

My A series is still going strong almost ten years old. Been through hell and back.

You wont regret purchasing either but keep the bearings oiled. The more bearings you have, the more that can seize/roughen. If buying a new one I would get the B version.

Be careful with the 400 size and using a power handle if your casting the reel (levelwind) as sometimes it will flip forward and engage the clutch (possibly breaking off your leader/lure). This happens on the A & B series 400 sizes, some people don't experience it, but in the age of $20-50+ lures you should take every precaution.

JC

I'm an Abu lover, but own various versions of Calcutta A, B and TE's and love them. The TE's have the clicker placed on top of the reel for easy access as compared to the A and B versions in which it is on the bottom of the reel. This will make a difference if you baitcast alot. To me, it is worth spending the extra $100 for the TE versions.

View PostI have many a, b, and te versions and I love each one of them. If you got then funds, pony up and get the te version. It's smoother and sexier!

Actually, if you have the funds, get the TE Conquest insteadbiggrin.gif

View PostThe wife and i have 300TE's that we use for beach plugging. Abused em for four years now with zero problems.

Hey Surf Hunter, do you and your wife use braid or mono with the 300TE? I currently use a TE400 but I like the smaller profile of the 300TE. I just want to have enough 15 lb mono line when throwing tins.

I like the simplicity of the design and price vs. performance in the B vs TE series. I found the B version easy to maintain for even the entry level reel mechanic. I dunked my B in the surf a month after I got it. Stripped it down, cleaned, re-assembled and ready to go an hour later. For me, it was a lot of parts to deal with in my old 400 TE to strip down and re-assemble without experiencing stress of all those little plastic parts that like to fall out when you open the the 400 TE up. Sending out the TE for service and handing over 50 bucks plus parts was getting tiresome as well.

View PostI like the simplicity of the design and price vs. performance in the B vs TE series. I found the B version easy to maintain for even the entry level reel mechanic. I dunked my B in the surf a month after I got it. Stripped it down, cleaned, re-assembled and ready to go an hour later. For me, it was a lot of parts to deal with in my old 400 TE to strip down and re-assemble without experiencing stress of all those little plastic parts that like to fall out when you open the the 400 TE up. Sending out the TE for service and handing over 50 bucks plus parts was getting tiresome as well.

This matches my experience as well. The 400 is easier and much cheaper to maintain, casts better (at least in my hands), and sits lower on the rod resulting in better ergonomics. The TE is substantially more powerful, but if you dunk it you will need to put in a lot more work to save it. For 9 ft rods and down (or light weight 10-11 footers) the 400 is the way to go. For powerful 10 and 11 footers (1205/gsb1201m/1321m/SSU120mh), go with the TE and baby it.

I have 2 401-TE's,the oldest one is 6 yeasr old and the other is a custom Japan model with custom drilled frame,hyper bearings and a stainless pinion/drive gear,it's 4 years old.

clean/grease them 2wice a season and have never heard a peep out of them at all.

very slick machines,I did ome of my own small tricks to speed them up and wow what casters they are.

I would tell anyone that wants a grand machine in their hands to buy one.

H-H