Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

Metal fishing thread

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

View PostNeither, its called:

Seal-Coat Lure and Jig Finish

This one-step system is as strong as epoxy without the measuring, mixing and smell. This finish has an extreme durability, a deep gloss, is non-yellowing, fast-drying and "worm-proof".

Retail packaged in 1 oz. and 4 oz. jars as well as a hangable 1 oz. blister pack. Also available in pints, quarts, gallons and 5-gallon pails.

It is under "Finish coats" wink.gif

I'm sorry if there is something I'm not seing, but the seal coat doesn't mention colors. I was asking about what type of paint you where using.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Back to fishing tins.

View PostI'm sorry if there is something I'm not seing, but the seal coat doesn't mention colors. I was asking about what type of paint you where using.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Back to fishing tins.

59965_1195811833053_1761186565_379578_34

This is the stuff I use on my tins. I am an idiot and meant the vinyl stuff. Sorry for the confusion!!!! redface.gif

Vinyl Lure & Jig Paint

Keeping the research going.

Today I was able to catchwith a shorty and a tube tail using the whip snap method, at a time when noone else was catching.

Maybe the luck of the draw. Maybe a little something more.

I think I would like to try painting one black and using a black tube then try walking the dog at night. Similar idea to Steve Mc Enna's sluggo method.

Maybe. We'll see.

Tins are a great lures to use, especially when you have a long distance to walk(little plano box, a couple tins and your in) I like the point judes, charlie graves(only the real tin ones, there are one's that are plated, the tin one's say on the package, real tin) and new to my tin collection are the new **** tins, hand made, all tin, exacy copies of charlie graves and other popular tins.

View PostThank you for this post, learned alot about tins.

I started this thread to, hopefully, be an ongoing educational tutorial on fishing metals.

Please feel free to add your own knowledge and experience.

View PostTins are a great lures to use, especially when you have a long distance to walk.

I absolutely agree.

I have been doing that this summer. With the addition of bucktails.

I like jigging crippled herrings a lot during dawn and daylight hours - in fact, I don't know why, but for some reason one of my favorite 'striper strikes' is when you're jigging and as you let the jig drop back down, it never 'finds' the bottom again - thus you have slack like and no sensation, yet you know you have a fishsmile.gif

It's similar to when I'm using a Norwegian jig while cod fishing - more times than not, the way I know I have a fish is that the jig just never drops down again.

View PostI've said it a million times that Charlie Graves Tins have saved a ton of trips for me. The biggest mistake that people make is assuming tins are the same. So as they go through the usual suspects, pencil, little neck, darter, shad etc then they get to tins but only try the kastmaster, and dont pull the charlie graves, hopkind, DD or PSJ. my point is not only are tins vesitile but each type of tin performs differently, so get an assortment and try all the speeds of retrieve and then stop and starts and finally give a shot to black tins at night.

+1 on the graves. I try to have a couple weights with me at all times. These can be worked like a kastmaster, a bucktail, or very creatively. I let them sit on the buttom sometimes for a minute or two and then jig it once or twice and let it sit again. I always have a deadly dick, kastmaster, charlie graves and some times a hopkins. I also have a couple of odd ball tins from fishing shows and clearance bins at tackle shops.

Just wondering, can a fish pick up up a tin on the bottom, or does it need to be off the bottom to get taken?

As you can tell I am not a metal expert.

But I do have tons of questions.

Thanks

View PostJust wondering, can a fish pick up up a tin on the bottom, or does it need to be off the bottom to get taken?

As you can tell I am not a metal expert.

But I do have tons of questions.

Thanks

If you've been moving it and it's only laying at rest for a short moment (and the fish is already interested from your working of the tin), they'll take it (and I've seen them do it). However, I doubt you can throw it out there like a piece of bait and let it sit - not saying it's never been done...but I don't see it

5 pages of precius info. Tks for re-start this thread. Post like this, make SOL the best site for us.

I had use po jee, kastmaster, krocs, hopkins, but only have succes with kastsmaster. Obviusly my confidence in tins are poor. But after this info, i'll try seriously.

Thanks all of you.

Can a spoon type metal like a 2.25 oz Crocadile work properly in a fast moving rip like a inlet outflow and how shallow can it run on a slow retrieve? I have a spot of the end of an inlet jetty that requires a very long cast on the dropping tide. The reef out there can be very shallow on the bottom half of the tide and it needs to stay shallow (3-4 ft) to not get hung up.