Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

Metal fishing thread

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

View PostAll it means that you were dragging the lures on the sand....other than that it means nothing my friend....

No it doesn't. Thanks for the response though.

View PostI use a lot of tins and just about all of them have been mentioned here already. But the one I do not ever leave out of my bag when fishing open sand beachs is a D-5. It will take fish when no other will and has saved many a day.

I'm gonna get one and check it out.

Can you describe what you like about it?

Thanks

Found this older thread but I had to post. Metals are some of the best lures you can use in almost any and every situation for many species of fish. You can swim it high, low, middle, bouncing it off the bottom, popping, and or with a fast, normal, or slow retrieve.

They are fantastic. I don't know how or why many books that I've read don't mention metal a lot more. Is it because its old? Is it the wood or plastics that people prefer now? Why isn't metal/tin talked about as much as the other plugs out there?

Is it cumbersome to the guys who choose not to use them? Is it that people don't know how to use them?

I am pretty confident in my metal throwing and catching abilities and wonder why there aren't many articles out there talking about them like wood or plastics. I carry a minimum of 3 metals on me at all times. They produce and are highly effective.

Because of prevailing wind which seemed to follow me around this year,

I started using alot more tin,for casting distance.I was pleasantly surprised

by their productivity.I favored#2and#3 deadly dicks,using a single hook

dressed with saddle hackle,a tip given to me by well known angler Steve Shiraka,who sadly passed away recently.The feathered hooks give the lure

a slower swishing action,as compared to a tighter wobble.The only drawback

being they don't hold up as well as bucktail,they tend to get chewed up and

fall apart easily,but who cares if you are catching.

Dragging black hopkins/black bucktail at night creating puffs of sand has been

recommended to me,but I didnt get a chance to try it ,most of my spots have

too much rock.

I learn something from nearly every entry, so I thought I would strat it back up.

This year I have continued my Hopkins usage, and it has yielded me fluke, bass, blues, false albicore and yes, plenty of sea robbins. I have been catching on many different retrieves, but the most productive in the last several weeks is the walk the dog style of retrieve that some folks have talked about.

I noticed that I see more No=Eql on the beach then shorties. Can anyone tell me what the No=Eql does that the shorty doesn't?

And please feel free to expound on any of your metal expertise.

Hi Chigger,

I love the Shorty in several sizes and I've caught a lot boat Salmon (and stripers and some white seabass) with it cast and retrieved, fluttered down, etc. As I've said, I make a Hopkins real shiney.....But that may be a West Coast Salmon mindset because I know that guys out your way often like that duller gleem of real tin for stripers.

But for my standard 11+ convench surf rod for plugging and some light bait work, the biggest Shorty is below the 3 ounce sweetspot....and I'm not going to re-calc all of my tackle choices for the one lure. Additionally, I have a lot of regular Hopkins....that story in a minute smile.gif For me, the Kastmaster 3 ounce fits the bill for a bit broader and higher riding than a Hop. No = Equal.

---------------------------

I haven't tried all the tins you guys have, but I think they are waaayyy under-rated. I've found them with a teaser to be among the very best searching rigs, and as you and everyone else points out, highly versatile.

In the olden days here, huge schools of bass in the 15-35 pound class attracted all sorts of beachfishing, often by folk that didn't know the first thing about it. The Hopkins was among the very first lures cast in the Pacific surf, and originally the most popular one.

Consequently, hundreds upon hundreds were cast off by inexperienced casters. As teenage kids, we found shoe boxes full of them, usually the No Equal around 3 ounces. To this day, 45 years later, I've rarely bought a Hopkins. biggrin.gif

One thing I do with a new one is to remove that big split ring and replace it with a bit smaller stainless one. I prefer a stainless Siwash single, often undressed. Another thing that I believe helps with where I fish is that I very carefully thin the leading edge...that is the wider end that leads in the retrieve. This will cause a bit more snap. But like a lot of hair splitting we do, who knows if this helps?

Also, I've painted them. One side dark blue can work well, and so can one side white. I've seen yellow be a preferred color too. When I dress them, I tend to use very sparse dressing and short flashaboo to give some sparkle. Also, I've used them quite a bit with no hook but instead a trailer fly or small jig on about a one foot lighter leader off the split ring.

I don't think the Hopkins is necessarily better than other tins, but its pretty good. And then too, I still have a lot of them. cwm27.gif

See the sig? wink.gif

I painted a few tins black and I've been using them with single white bucktail siwash hooks and they will produce at night. You just have to fish them S-L-O-W-L-Y.

I AM THE TIN MAN! biggrin.gif

View PostSee the sig? wink.gif

I painted a few tins black and I've been using them with single white bucktail siwash hooks and they will produce at night. You just have to fish them S-L-O-W-L-Y.

I AM THE TIN MAN! biggrin.gif

Can I ask what you paint them with and how?

Thanks

View PostCan I ask what you paint them with and how?

Thanks

CS coatings. Works on Lead, tin, stainless. The yellow needs a few coats. I only do one coat on the black. A brush works fine.

its $3.99 for a little jar.

wink.gif

Vinyl Lure & Jig Paint is the one.

View PostWhen you guys say to fish them S-L-O-W-L-Y does that mean your dragging it through the sand?

No. When I mean slowly, I mean it eventually hits the bottom but then I pop it up and retrieve and let drop. It takes about 4-5 minutes to get one retrieve back.

I also usually pop it up 2 or 3 times to get it higher in the water then eventually let it drop. Some times I also do straight retrieves.

I use about 5-8 different profiles with me at all times, in the past year. Kroc imitation spoons, aok t-hex/peanut, 2-3 hopkins, hopkins shorty's. mini-hopkins(not actually hopkins but a smaller copy of the original with feathers instead of bucktails for the smaller ones), pojee's and grave/pj butterfish, crippled herring, ava007 17 27 (diamond jigs) in 3 colors, red, /yellow/green. Deadly dicks in larger sizes because they swim like a pojee but cast better (in the larger sizes that is)

Tin will catch fluke, blues, bass, and I've also caught robins by the lips on tin.

The most important thing with tin is to let it drop or flutter on the drop. I can guarantee you that 99.9% of the strikes will come on the drop or the stop of the retrieve. Be patient and remember to stop every once in a while because I've seen bass off of jetties chase the tin to only turn off because I was impatient and didn't stop the retrieve or let it drop down.

Feathers will give it an eel-like wiggle to hopkins and the jr hopkins. Just get black feathers and black paint and use them at night.

Also, I love tin for low tide because I can reach the fish more often then not. The only other lures that I've used or know of to cast as far are super strike 2 3/8oz poppers/ swimmers. They get out there.

View PostCS coatings. Works on Lead, tin, stainless. The yellow needs a few coats. I only do one coat on the black. A brush works fine.

its $3.99 for a little jar.

wink.gif

Seal-Coat Lure and Jig Finish is the one.

Sorry, but can you be more specific?

I just checked out their site. Do you use vinyl or water based paints? Do you put a base coat on? And do you need to prepare the lure to be painted?

Thanks again