Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

Metal fishing thread

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

View Post

So one solution I came up with is rigging a small sluggo or curly tail with a worm gap hook texposed (like in freshwater fishing) as a trailer. I have done this with kastmasters, hopkins as well as point judes po jee and even spoons like the krocks, and it allows me to fish at or on bottom without worrying about getting hung on the rocks and weeds. Next...don't overlook gulp as a trailer as well.

This may sound like a stupid question, but does this mean you take off the rear hook and use the trailer like a stinger?

This morning I was using A27 to catch flukes from the beach. I caught three of them and I have not seen anyone on the jetties with the classic lures and bait getting anything.

I started with the gulp but nada.

I think the A27, A47 etc are the most versatile metal lures.

In regard to night fishing, I leave metal lures at home unless I am looking at them as launchers for teasers. The lures may catch fish at night only rarely and are far from being consistent IMHO.

I will use bucktails at night to bounce on the bottom if that what I want to do.

This morning I was using A27 to catch flukes from the beach. I caught three of them and I have not seen anyone on the jetties with the classic lures and bait getting anything.

I started with the gulp but nada.

I think the A27, A47 etc are the most versatile metal lures.

In regard to night fishing, I leave metal lures at home unless I am looking at them as launchers for teasers. The lures may catch fish at night only rarely and are far from being consistent IMHO.

I will use bucktails at night to bounce on the bottom if that what I want to do.

I assume you were using diamond jigs? With or without a tube? This is one great thread.

View PostIn regard to night fishing,I leave metal lures at home unless I am looking at them as launchers for teasers. The lures may catch fish at night only rarely and are far from being consistent IMHO.

IMHO

See, that's the kicker right there.In yours,or anyones opinion.And opinions(hopefully biggrin.gif ) come from experience.And experience helps build confidence.

And confidence in a lure is paramount to success!!

Que pasa Plomo? smile.gif

Yes, This is the diamond jig. I also like the scallop lure of Pt. Jude in the fall. Dragging it on the bottomwhen peanuts bunker are around ibrought me plenty of schoolies.

Hey Steve,

Sitting on a chair at the beach, wife to my left, rod to my right,iPhone in my hands and few beautiful girls IMHO lying in front of me. Ok, time for few more casts. smile.gif.

View PostHey Steve,

Sitting on a chair at the beach, wife to my left, rod to my right,iPhone in my hands and few beautiful girls IMHO lying in front of me. Ok, time for few more casts. smile.gif.

Lucky man you are.

Sure you have the sequence correct with all the pretty girls around?

Maybe the iPhone is to your right and your rod in your hands? LMFAO......wink.gif

Sorry,couldn't resist!!

Glad you're having a great day with the Mrs.

Todays score.

Caught just as many SEA ROBINS on kastmaster, PJ black knight butterfish, A17, 007, hopkins shorty and Bucktails.

They outfished the two guys next to me combined. They were fishing pencils, poppers and bombers.

I hope the fact that I was catching sea robins, means that I was fishing these lure properly, and just didn't come across any hungery bass.

Practicing keeping a tin swimming as slow as I can most of the time.

View PostTodays score.

Caught just as many SEA ROBINS on kastmaster, PJ black knight butterfish, A17, 007, hopkins shorty and Bucktails.

They outfished the two guys next to me combined. They were fishing pencils, poppers and bombers.

I hope the fact that I was catching sea robins, means that I was fishing these lure properly, and just didn't come across any hungery bass.

Practicing keeping a tin swimming as slow as I can most of the time.

All it means that you were dragging the lures on the sand....other than that it means nothing my friend....

Always did well with J-8's on the sand beaches of LI when I lived there. Just reeled them in fast enough to see my tip wiggle. Gotta' admit though, never caught anything big on them.

View PostThis may sound like a stupid question, but does this mean you take off the rear hook and use the trailer like a stinger?

I simply put a worm gap hook on the terminal split ring or swivel and add sluggo or curly tail. I use the rigged trailer AS the rear hook. that way there is nothing to catch on when fishing in weeds

rig4.gif

View PostI simply put a worm gap hook on the terminal split ring or swivel and add sluggo or curly tail. I use the rigged trailer AS the rear hook. that way there is nothing to catch on when fishing in weeds

I've caught halibut doing the above with a Hopkins NO=EQL.

As a side note, a NO=EQL with the right sized bucktailed hook will actually fall horizontally and wobble side-to-side when you kill the steady retrieve. drool.gif

Looks great to me! wink.gif FB

I use a lot of tins and just about all of them have been mentioned here already. But the one I do not ever leave out of my bag when fishing open sand beachs is a D-5. It will take fish when no other will and has saved many a day.