Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

Metal fishing thread

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

I used to fish a lot of tin, mostly Charlie Graves. Then I became a wood plug snob.wink.gif I only seem to pull out the tin when the bluefish are out of plug range. I also believe that real tin outfishes chrome. It's something about the dull shine. Like the others, I'd say vary your retrieve and see what works. The best thing about only using tin is that you can run the beach without a plugbag....Ah, Freedom.biggrin.gif

I use a lot of tins. Fishing in Maine means lots of current, depth, rocks, weeds that are attached to those rocks and small bait. Tins allow me to match the small bait, plus get the distance and sinking rate I need to get the max time in the strike zone.

So one solution I came up with is rigging a small sluggo or curly tail with a worm gap hook texposed (like in freshwater fishing) as a trailer. I have done this with kastmasters, hopkins as well as point judes po jee and even spoons like the krocks, and it allows me to fish at or on bottom without worrying about getting hung on the rocks and weeds. Next...don't overlook gulp as a trailer as well.

In addition to those mentioned already, crippled herrings, deadly dicks, and t-hex also have their place in my bag, depending on where I'm fishing. T-hex are great for getting right down deep in a hurry, while the crippled herrings are excellent for jigging as well as fishing lower water column at a steady retrieve just above submerged structure. And of course DDs are fantastic in imitatng some of the small thin profile bait around this summer up here and cast very...very well

I use smelly jelly, rig the hook as a single (naked or dressed)...less weeds and better for the fish, especially if you get into blues..... and always add a split ring to where I tie off

Can some one explain the technique of using the diamond jig!!!

I think u should cast it then use two two three upward strokes retrieve the lure steadily for some time them again give upward strokes retrieve the sack wait for the strike and start the cycle again till the lure is near you and ready to be casted agian plz tell if this technique is right !!!

how about we dedicate each post to a lurew and explain itz retive

View PostI use a lot of tins. Fishing in Maine means lots of current, depth, rocks, weeds that are attached to those rocks and small bait. Tins allow me to match the small bait, plus get the distance and sinking rate I need to get the max time in the strike zone.

So one solution I came up with is rigging a small sluggo or curly tail with a worm gap hook texposed (like in freshwater fishing) as a trailer. I have done this with kastmasters, hopkins as well as point judes po jee and even spoons like the krocks, and it allows me to fish at or on bottom without worrying about getting hung on the rocks and weeds. Next...don't overlook gulp as a trailer as well.

In addition to those mentioned already, crippled herrings, deadly dicks, and t-hex also have their place in my bag, depending on where I'm fishing. T-hex are great for getting right down deep in a hurry, while the crippled herrings are excellent for jigging as well as fishing lower water column at a steady retrieve just above submerged structure. And of course DDs are fantastic in imitatng some of the small thin profile bait around this summer up here and cast very...very well

I use smelly jelly, rig the hook as a single (naked or dressed)...less weeds and better for the fish, especially if you get into blues..... and always add a split ring to where I tie off

Very nice stuff. Thank you. i was thinking about using various trailers.

View PostCan some one explain the technique of using the diamond jig!!!

I think u should cast it then use two two three upward strokes retrieve the lure steadily for some time them again give upward strokes retrieve the sack wait for the strike and start the cycle again till the lure is near you and ready to be casted agian plz tell if this technique is right !!!

how about we dedicate each post to a lurew and explain itz retive

Diamond jigs with tube tails (while I am no expert), can be fished many ways. This depends on the water depth, water conditions and the weight your using.

I am not yet good at actual jigging, but I have had good success with a straight retrieve.

Maybe some of the sharper fishermen than I cam chime in.

View PostThanks for starting this thread Chigger...

+1 icon14.gif

This is something I want to learn more about - my tins are very under-utilized.

Tins and metal lures in general ,are not used to their potential by this generation of anglers. In the post WW2 days the guys made their own and and fished them a lot ,as there weren't as many custom wood plugs around. I know Point Jude Lures came about right after the war and I think Charlie Graves and Acme (aka Kastmaster) were started around the same time.

You can use them at night with or without teasers. You can drag them in the sand to imitate sand eels.You can fish them under and on the outskirts of a bluefish blitz and get good sized stripers. There's a whole lot you can do with them besides catch a bloofish during a daytime fall blitz.smile.gif

View PostTins and metal lures in general ,are not used to their potential by this generation of anglers. In the post WW2 days the guys made their own and and fished them a lot ,as there weren't as many custom wood plugs around. I know Point Jude Lures came about right after the war and I think Charlie Graves and Acme (aka Kastmaster) were started around the same time.

You can use them at night with or without teasers. You can drag them in the sand to imitate sand eels.You can fish them under and on the outskirts of a bluefish blitz and get good sized stripers. There's a whole lot you can do with them besides catch a bloofish during a daytime fall blitz.smile.gif

hi Joe ! HappyWave.gif

View PostTins and metal lures in general ,are not used to their potential by this generation of anglers. In the post WW2 days the guys made their own and and fished them a lot ,as there weren't as many custom wood plugs around. I know Point Jude Lures came about right after the war and I think Charlie Graves and Acme (aka Kastmaster) were started around the same time.

Hey JoeHappyWave.gif

Very well said.

As you and I both know,since we both tend to try and educate our end users,metals nowadays are defintly not used to their utmost potential.I've said it a thousand times........a good metal lure is one the most,if not the most productive lure one can use,on the whole.The amount of conditions and situations that can be fished effectively with metal is staggering.Casting,Jigging and Trolling.

Chromed or tin lures at night?Yup,can be very productive. But not many fish them.Bigger metals when the pencil poppin' crowd is whipping the water into a frenzy?Yup,done that too.,and caught when others are not.I'll fish metal when most people think I'm nuts,but I do get results.That's how much confidence I have in metals.I fished 4 straight days and nights on the Cape last fall with 2 metal lures,one chrome and one black,and caught nice fish consistently.Bass and blues

Bucktail,feathers,bare hook,tubetail,squid strip,grub,curly tail,rubber eel on metal = FISH!!!!!

From down deep to up on top,a good metal lure is the most versatile artificial an angler can use.

View PostHey JoeHappyWave.gif

Very well said.

As you and I both know,since we both tend to try and educate our end users,metals nowadays are defintly not used to their utmost potential.I've said it a thousand times........a good metal lure is one the most,if not the most productive lure one can use,on the whole.The amount of conditions and situations that can be fished effectively with metal is staggering.Casting,Jigging and Trolling.

Chromed or tin lures at night?Yup,can be very productive. But not many fish them.Bigger metals when the pencil poppin' crowd is whipping the water into a frenzy?Yup,done that too.,and caught when others are not.I'll fish metal when most people think I'm nuts,but I do get results.That's how much confidence I have in metals.I fished 4 straight days and nights on the Cape last fall with 2 metal lures,one chrome and one black,and caught nice fish consistently.Bass and blues

Bucktail,feathers,bare hook,tubetail,squid strip,grub,curly tail,rubber eel on metal = FISH!!!!!

From down deep to up on top,a good metal lure is the most versatile artificial an angler can use.

Hiya Steve !smile.gif

Yeah sure we have an interest in metal lures....but all that we've mentioned is true! If you can approach the sport with an open mind and even think outside the box a little ,by using metal lures in various ways and in different situations,you can expand your abilities and increase your catch.

Bigger metals when the pencil poppin' crowd is whipping the water into a frenzy?

Can you say what you consider bigger metals? And how you fish them?

Thanks. I really appreciate all the answers in tis thread.

Larger, wider bodied metals such as Kastmasters,Hopkins, some Pt.Judes etc...

What I was referencing there was a metal lure I made for Roosterfish in Mexico.A surface lure meant for high speed retreive.

We were pp'n a stretch of beach and jetties in MoCO ,NJ and nothing was happening.Lots of guys,lots of casting........no fish.

Don from Afterhours said what the heck,tie it on and toss it out.

2 casts fast on top=nothin', 3rd cast I let it sink= 24#'er

3rd and 4th ones down on the left.

ry%3D400

View PostTins and metal lures in general ,are not used to their potential by this generation of anglers.

Hey Joe, hope all is well.

I have allways done very well specially on sand beaches with your tins. Either reeled fast on top, reel slow on the bottom, or just a varied bounce and swim they are just killers day or night. Never under estimate the Black or Gold Butterfish by Pt Jude. Taken many bass in 20# range on the black at night.