Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

Metal fishing thread

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

I have challenged myself to just go out with an assortment of shorty sizes and hook dressings. I am very happy with my results so far.

I was worried that I would only catch blues, and that has not been the case.

I've also been putting smelly jelly on the bucktail. Don't know if it's working, but I did catch a striper in the dark last night. That's another thing that I was wondering. Would they catch at night.

If I only use this lure, I am challenged to try and make it work.

So my question is, are there any guys out there they are really good with tins or just use them a lot, that can talk about keeping a tin where they want it in the water column how they fish em in blitz conditions to get the type of fish you want etc.

Basically I'm looking for sharpie advice on how to use them in verious conditions.

Feel free to write about anything and everything involving fishing with tins that comes to mind.

One thing I'm wondering, is what to do when there is a real fast sweep. Do you use a standard retrive, or maybe jig and flutter it down.

Please teach me to get better at this practice.

Thanks guys. I know I'm asking a very broad question. But that's my point. You get to add specific situations and what you do.

I am no sharpie, but am a reasonably good tin fisherman. They are one of my favorite lures to work. Very versatile.

Some tins can work multiple parts of the water column, some can't (or at least not terribly effectively).

For the upper part of the water column I like tins like the Pt. Jude Nautilus or Butterfish.

These can be worked right near the surface on a slow retrieve because they are keeled and rise up. They can also be worked lower on a very, very slow retrieve and that makes them very versatile. I think the Nautilus is my favorite- casts a mile even in heavy winds, can be fished all different ways and even over a shallow rocky bottom. Can also be worked similar to a "rabbit" type plug like a ballistic missile or roberts ranger- burning the lure across the top can be effective at times.

For a strong sweep I like fast sinkers like the Pt. Jude Po-Jee or a Deadly Dick. They'll let you get down in the water before the lure is swept away and the thin profile of the lure doesn't drag as much in the water and the faster retreive they require also helps. Great sand eel imitator.

Don't be afraid to bounce lures like the Po-Jee along a sandy bottom, its effective.

For imitating larger baits I like the Pt. Jude Sea Scallop or the larger Kastmasters.

Charlie Graves makes many similar tins, I haven't really used them much but I hear they are good.

Don't forget the teaser, at times that can increase the catch rate. Particularly when the fish are on very small bait and you're having trouble getting a take.

I've said it a million times that Charlie Graves Tins have saved a ton of trips for me. The biggest mistake that people make is assuming tins are the same. So as they go through the usual suspects, pencil, little neck, darter, shad etc then they get to tins but only try the kastmaster, and dont pull the charlie graves, hopkind, DD or PSJ. my point is not only are tins vesitile but each type of tin performs differently, so get an assortment and try all the speeds of retrieve and then stop and starts and finally give a shot to black tins at night.

View PostWould they catch at night.

Absolutely - and very well in many situations. Cranking them high in the water column is daytime stuff...but a steady diet of hops/bounces mixed in with a steady, slower retrieve at night when there are sandeels around is deadly.

View PostOne thing I'm wondering, is what to do when there is a real fast sweep. Do you use a standard retrieve, or maybe jig and flutter it down.

The key to fishing a fast sweep remains the same for all lures - let the water do the work - use the sweep to bring your lure broadside to where the fish are (or should be) holding. Fighting the current is your last choice, use the current - fish above the holding areas and let the current push your lure into it so that the lure is just starting to turn when it reaches the holding area. Bigger fish would rather not chase healthy bait in current - let the water bring them a struggling, dying morsel and they have a hard time passing it up HappyWave.gif

TimS

Thanks for starting this thread Chigger,

I hope lots of folks chime in with their opinion. Being new to the game, I've had similar questions and wish to learn.

Rocket500: That is fantastic input to a newbie. Your opinion about the shape and design of the tin and retrieve technique was very helpful. Nameing the actual lures also helps in people getting started in the right direction as well.

This is what I love about this site. So many people with real experience who are willing to share their knowledge. Please keep the thought comeing!!

I'll add my 2 cents here.

I've found that for me to keep a steady wobble, it sometimes means that my retrieve speed must be ever changing. Very quick changes of get it going, slow it down, get it going , slow it down. This gives it a very inticing (to me) consistently unstable wobble. Think dieing fish dragging itself home with short spurts of energy.

Also don't get married to a particular retreive. You will eed to change as the conditions and what gets them to bight change.

I am also a big fan of the Charlie Graves tins, different weights for different surf and/or bait conditions, I like to retrieve them just fast enough to keep them off the bottom. This past fall I found that they work just as good at night as they do in the daytime. Also Ava 007, 017, and 027 jigs with the tube hooks switched out to a VMC Siwash with bucktail. In strong onshore winds and rough surf you can use them to deliver a teaser in conditions that you would have a hard time tossing a plug into.

On a bad note I snapped off a nice Charlie Graves tin this morning and sent it way, way out there.

distance, and imitating almost every bait fish, I really enjoy fishing tins (and I've caught more than just bass on them)

I mix up retrieves based on the conditions

for the areas I fish, I like these:

Shorty Hopkins Dressed 1.5oz

Acme Kastmaster Dressed 1.5oz

Pt. Jude Tins - all of them (chrome, gold & black) up to 2oz

The Black Knight series catch fish - when the sandeels were thick last fall, we had a blast with the bass on these

there are so many to chose from but I'm going to get a few F14's & Charlie Graves tins to the arsenal soon

View PostI am also a big fan of the Charlie Graves tins, different weights for different surf and/or bait conditions, I like to retrieve them just fast enough to keep them off the bottom. This past fall I found that they work just as good at night as they do in the daytime. Also Ava 007, 017, and 027 jigs with the tube hooks switched out to a VMC Siwash with bucktail. In strong onshore winds and rough surf you can use them to deliver a teaser in conditions that you would have a hard time tossing a plug into.

On a bad note I snapped off a nice Charlie Graves tin this morning and sent it way, way out there.

waaah.gif I feel your pain, I did the same yesterday with a nice 1.5oz Hopkins shorty.

Letting a larger like a Kastmaster or a Pt. Jude Nautilus or Sea Scallop free fall into blitzing smaller fish is a good way to sometimes pick up a larger one.

Cast out to the edge of the blitz and just let the lure fall to the bottom (assuming its not too snaggy).

Yank it up off the bottom and retreive a short distance, let it fall again.

Think "crippled fish".

Get tight to the lure on the fall- it will get hit sometimes on the way down, or right when it starts moving off bottom again.

Often larger bass will pick up the easy scraps that the blues or school bass let fall to the bottom.

Another tip is to shake the rod tip vigorously when your tin hits the water and/or to do a fast and splashy sort of retreive at the start.

The concept is to cause a commotion to attract the attention of a fish in the area so that when you begin your regular retreive you might induce a strike.

Shaking the rod tip during the retreive is a good night tip as well.

Add this to your list of things to do with tins. We call it trolling the surf. When the wind is full on from your left or right, blowing along the beach, you can cast out a little into the wind then start your retrieve while walking with the wind. The bass love that snotty surf and at least you have a shot at finding them. This also helps manage the big bow the wind wants to put in your line.

Peace

I would strongly suggest sourcing some Charlie Graves Tins.

Nothing has produced for me like their butterfish style and sandeel tins. I would get 4 total. One of each in both REAL TIN, and chromed metal.

Dont overlook crippled herrings, kastmasters, and hopkins.

But If I could only have a couple, they would be charlie graves real tin ones. They are duller and I think that lends to their productiveness. Also, you can grab some sand from the beach and rub them with your thumb when they tarnish.

JC