Hunters/Naturalists

Rate this topic

Shipwreck

OK, I have a question about a sound from the woods behind my house that is really really freaky.

I have lived in this house most of my life. We have a small patch of woods but we are near Princeton so there is not that much open space.

For the last 2 years and never before in all my life there has been a horrific blood chilling feral scream of some beastie.

I have camped all over the world and been in NJ for 3 decades and never heard this.

OK, it only happens DEEP in the night. It only happens once in a while never in the spring fall or winter. It is a moving animal as I hear it fade away.

The sound is a VERY loud screech. It almost sounds like a cat trying to mate, but its consistent in pitch and duration. Very loud very short and continual. The sound is savage it just cannot be a cat. There are deer back there and the sound always seems to coincide with their birth. Is something hunting them? Its not a hurt animal as the sound is very controlled. If I had to guess its being used to freak out prey and get them to bolt.

Any ideas?kooky.gif It wakes up the whole house, scares the s out the of kids, and I just want to make sure its not something dangerous. If I had to guess at an animal I would say bobcat or some predatory cat. lol

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

HOLY COW I found it.

http://fishercatscreech.com/fisher-cat-sound-and-audio/

This is most def it. Very Very cool to be living near them, but I am keeping the cats inside.

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

Did you play the audio on the link? If you dont know what it is it sounds mortifying. I'm like somebody is killing a hooker in my back yard.cwm31.gif

Believe me the thought of some half man/half beast crossed all our minds.

My oldest son loves foxes and we know the red fox bark. It has a softer edge to it, deeper. This sounds like someone is tearing the skin off a sorority chick. The second we heard the fisher cat audio we all just looked at each other and knew.

Pretty cool. He's a fisher, cat. Nice. If you had that yell at night I betcha you would get your own jetty.wink.gif