Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Shoe

Jones Beach, Fourth Of July

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Saturday night I took my wife and teenaged daughter to the fireworks at Jones Beach. Lawn chairs at the waters edge, sea flat and calm, big bright moon shining on the water, incredible fireworks show from the barge right in front of us. Really a wonderful night. Until it was time to leave. It seemed like every person on the beach, all 50,000 of them left dirty diapers, food, bottles, papers, filth of all types lying in the sand and just walked away. The walk back to the boardwalk was like walking through a garbage dump. I recalled to my daughter how 50 years ago my parents would go balistic if my sister or I let even one sandwich baggie accidently blow away with out chasing it 100 yds down the beach to recover it. The vermin on the beach ate well Saturday night thanks to all the filthy pigs who pissed on the beach with their trash. The older I get the more I start to hate people and think there's no hope for us. We're turning into low dispicable creatures if we can take a pristine natural environment like L.I.'s outer beaches and crap all over it with out giving a single s***. This weekend I saw 50,000 people piss and s*** all over something I've known since I was 6 yrs old. I'm so mad I don't think I'll ever get over it.

Sucks man I see those types all the time. Nothing is like it was years ago ,

people took pride in their surroundings .

I still see the old timers out there bent over and arthritic sweeping the gutter and the sidewalks.

The new age of society thinks "aww hell someone else will pick it up" mad.gif

I had 75 adults and close to 40 kids in my yard on Friday and I have to tell you, when I did the walk around Saturday AM, it was a close to spotless as I could imagine. Granted, a couple of cig butts (I know who smokes what cwm13.gif) and some of those plastic things from the frozen Ice pops deals...and a boat load of silly string, but otherwise, no issues.

I guess long island people just suck. headscratch.gif

View PostI had 75 adults and close to 40 kids in my yard on Friday and I have to tell you, when I did the walk around Saturday AM, it was a close to spotless as I could imagine. Granted, a couple of cig butts (I know who smokes what cwm13.gif) and some of those plastic things from the frozen Ice pops deals...and a boat load of silly string, but otherwise, no issues.

I guess long island people just suck. headscratch.gif

Thats because you had a party at a private residence with friends and family.

Wasn't it an SOL get together anyway? (didn't see any RI'ers on the quest list cwm13.gifbiggrin.gif)With some of the good guys in here I'd be surprised if it didn't look better than before the party! I honestly don't think it has anything to do with states..It's just people in public places.. No garbage can within reach? Just throw it on the ground... It's not like its someone's back yard..I'm sure someone will pick it up! I see this attitude and fifth everyday at some of my local spots. They just don't care any more frown.gif

That sucks Steve!!!!

Folks feel someone else will pick up after them. After all, they do it at homecwm13.gif

I fished with a couple of friends last year, just a fluke trip on flat calm waters for a few hours. The friend who was invited along, as was I, left his drink container, seaweed, line tangles, and trash scraps on board. I cleaned it up because I know it was left for the boat owner.

This guy cleans his house when his wife is not home, but when she is, she cleans up after him, so I guess he thinks when other people are around, someone else will clean his s**t.

It is downright disrespectful, and disgracefulupck.gifmad.gif

Having spent literally 100's of days in the most remote locations in the US and MX I can tell you people have been dumping garbage since they first step foot in an area.

As far as Jones Beach it was a huge, anonymous crowd under cover of darkness likely alcohol fueled debacle. You can contrast that with the crowds at Bethpage for the US open that while rowdy and sometimes drunk did not litter to any significant extent.

View Post...Really a wonderful night. Until it was time to leave. It seemed like every person on the beach, all 50,000 of them left dirty diapers, food, bottles, papers, filth of all types lying in the sand and just walked away. The walk back to the boardwalk was like walking through a garbage dump.

It's not just Jones on holidays.

It's the Sore Thumb access road, backside of Demo, and even Gilgo at times. Disgusting, really.

Here's a pic of Masonboro Island after the 4th weekend...uninhabited, just across the inlet from my work...maybe 500 yards away. Weekends is 'raft up and hang out' time for boaters. Holiday weekends are simply insane (see pic below). Funny thing is...two hours north of here where I live in Beaufort/Morehead City, we have Shackleford Banks, Cape Lookout, and Core Banks. Up there, we never see this type of behavior...if we do, it's nothing near the severity. The difference is...Masonboro is surrounded by Wilmington (small city)...and Shack, CLO, and Core Banks are surrounded by Beaufort, a small town full of people who moved there and visit there because of the 'small town' atmosphere and natural beauty. Masonboro is being destroyed by 'citiots' who moved here for higher paying jobs and bought their first boat...and college kids who have never been in this atmosphere before...both groups don't own it, didn't grow up on it, and by virtue, just don't care about it. They either plan to graduate and move somewhere else or retire and move somewhere else. It's a real shame!! I suspect Long Island is the same...it ain't theirs, and they have the mindset that someone gets paid to clean this up. In this case, volunteers did it....AGAIN!

Steve-

I feel your pain. It really doesn't matter much if you live in a particular area or are visiting for an hour, week, day or month you should treat your surroundings/fellow beings with respect and that means not throwing your garbage everywhere. This was discussed in the main forum yesterday and it really pisses me off. It was called trash talk and they break down how long it takes certain items like plastic bottles and such to break down- it's mind blowing. With all the idiots these days talking about "green" this and "green" that it is all a bunch of horse sh.. if you can't even pick up your own trash. If there isn't a trash can put it in your pocket. No excuses. These people should be beatin.gif until they bleed! It's not just LI, NC or NJ it's everywhere! People are just not taught to have respect. I'm the parent making my kids run down the beach a mile if they drop a gum wrapper to throw it in the garbage. It starts at home people.

Sorry, but "leave nothing but footprints."

Here's an idea!

When the crowd arrives, the volunteer crew stretches a fence across the entire beach to keep the crowd from leaving.

Trash bags are handed out, and everyone stuffs their bag full of trash.

The fence is pulled back, the bags are dropped off at a drop point, and everyone gets to go home, with a "thank you for cleaning up your beach"cwm27.gif

View PostHere's an idea!

When the crowd arrives, the volunteer crew stretches a fence across the entire beach to keep the crowd from leaving.

Trash bags are handed out, and everyone stuffs their bag full of trash.

The fence is pulled back, the bags are dropped off at a drop point, and everyone gets to go home, with a "thank you for cleaning up your beach"cwm27.gif

Then they would just add it to the garbage in the parking lot wink.gif I guess its a new thing these days. Stop on the way to the beach at mcdonalds, BK, 711 etc, then clean your car out in the parking lot before the drive home mad.gif

View PostSaturday night I took my wife and teenaged daughter to the fireworks at Jones Beach. Lawn chairs at the waters edge, sea flat and calm, big bright moon shining on the water, incredible fireworks show from the barge right in front of us. Really a wonderful night. Until it was time to leave. It seemed like every person on the beach, all 50,000 of them left dirty diapers, food, bottles, papers, filth of all types lying in the sand and just walked away. The walk back to the boardwalk was like walking through a garbage dump. I recalled to my daughter how 50 years ago my parents would go balistic if my sister or I let even one sandwich baggie accidently blow away with out chasing it 100 yds down the beach to recover it. The vermin on the beach ate well Saturday night thanks to all the filthy pigs who pissed on the beach with their trash. The older I get the more I start to hate people and think there's no hope for us. We're turning into low dispicable creatures if we can take a pristine natural environment like L.I.'s outer beaches and crap all over it with out giving a single s***. This weekend I saw 50,000 people piss and s*** all over something I've known since I was 6 yrs old. I'm so mad I don't think I'll ever get over it.

I AM SO WITH YOU, "I'm just going to leave my trash on the beach" who would do that? It is really sad, if they think someone else ios going to clean it up thee is something wrong if they think it is going to lie there, there is something wrong, if they are not thinking there is something wrong! I was quite happy, there was minimal trash when I went to the fireworks, I on top of that it was... well a area I would not want to be at night to say the least.

They did not have it at the Nikon center(oh I am sorry the Nikon at Jones beach)? I figured they would. Could you not get seats or something?