Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riarcher

Saltwater pond scum removal

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Seems bad this year where I'm putting in at. Maybe from all the run-off?

Anyways, Anyone know of a good fast solution besides tons of elbow grease?

This crap is nasty and shows up bad on my white trailered hull.redface.gif

Was thinking a low presure power washer, but this stuff is like tar. Power washer may not do the job.

Ideas?

View PostSeems bad this year where I'm putting in at. Maybe from all the run-off?

Anyways, Anyone know of a good fast solution besides tons of elbow grease?

This crap is nasty and shows up bad on my white trailered hull.redface.gif

Was thinking a low presure power washer, but this stuff is like tar. Power washer may not do the job.

Ideas?

Slimy Grimy. Spray it on and then rinse it off. That simple!

you're talkin about the brown crud right? It is actually the salt. Like when you see the ocean kicked way up and you see those like "soap-sud bubbles" all over the beach. Never used slimy grimy, but get a "deck brush" available at any boat place, 5 gallon bucket, 1 container of marykate on&off, scrub on lightly, rinse off. Works like a charm. If it's real bad, may take 2 rounds. Be careful, very bad for you, get it on your skin and it will burn/itch. All acid, and will take wax off as well.

Chief, this stuff is like tar. Greasy / sticky feeling and smears.

I think it's the run-off from the roads where it's rained so much.

I've been using "Simple Green". Mixed strong (like 1:5) it does the trick if let stand. Still lots of elbow involved.

Been launching back up deep in the pond (nice ramp). But think from now on I'll travel a bit more towards what is hoped to be cleaner waters.

smeers, yeah that's no good. On&Off will probably work, but if it is on the trailer, the acid will take the galvanizing off trailers(or so I am told) so either be very careful, or try the slimy grimy stuff.

Try searching around, someone asked about the normal salt scum, somebody had a "gel" substance, and that might work great, because it can stay there and work for a while.

View PostChief, this stuff is like tar. Greasy / sticky feeling and smears.

I think it's the run-off from the roads where it's rained so much.

I've been using "Simple Green". Mixed strong (like 1:5) it does the trick if let stand. Still lots of elbow involved.

Been launching back up deep in the pond (nice ramp). But think from now on I'll travel a bit more towards what is hoped to be cleaner waters.

I like simple green on the deck of my boat if it just needs a light cleaning. Try the slimy grimy. You can get the powder to mix your own or the spray bottle pre made stuff. Don't get it on your clothes it will eat through them. Keep off your skin as best you can as well.

Real hot water and dawn dishwasher soap, did it for me when the boat was out of the water on my trailer.

Wiped right off, nasty stuff when it's on the hull.

View PostHas anyone tried muriatic acid?

You could kill yourself with that. If you add acid to water ( like the water that the boat is in), it could react violently. Second, concentrated muriatic acid fumes are poisonness.

Thirdy, it's against the law to 'dump' that stuff in the ocean or a lake.

On-Off will work but is pretty caustic also (Oxalic acid). I have found that if you wash the scum line frequently with boat soap and a deck brush, most of the slime comes off

View PostYou could kill yourself with that. If you add acid to water ( like the water that the boat is in), it could react violently. Second, concentrated muriatic acid fumes are poisonness.

Thirdy, it's against the law to 'dump' that stuff in the ocean or a lake.

On-Off will work but is pretty caustic also (Oxalic acid). I have found that if you wash the scum line frequently with boat soap and a deck brush, most of the slime comes off

Kinda funny because Muriatic acid is used to control the PH in swimming pools. I have dumped many gallons in.

View PostKinda funny because Muriatic acid is used to control the PH in swimming pools. I have dumped many gallons in.

It depends on the concentration of the solution. If you buy the concentrated stuff like what is used to etch masonary, you are handling dangerous stuff. Several years ago a NYC Sanitation worker was killed when a relatively empty discarded bottle of muriatic acid broke in the back of the truck when th compactor hit it. The residue sprayed him and he inhaled the acid resulting in fatal injuries.

Muriatic (hydrocloric acid) can be produced in cincentrations up to about 38% ( fuming variety) and down as low as approx 10%. If you were to add the concentrated variety to water, a violent reaction would occur.

The EPA rates classifies muriatic acid as a toxin.

An independent organization that rates pollutants states that muriatic acid is "Ranked as one of the most hazardous compounds (worst 10%) to ecosystems and human health."

Using muriatic acid in polls is fairly common and is used mainly because it is less expensive than other PH treatments. Nevertheless, it is dangerous stuff to have around.