Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Petrus

Evinrude OceanPro 1993 150HP

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Am looking at a used model that has been pretty well maintained w/ about 500hours- any idea what the life span is for these motors? COmpression checks out on all cylinders, new lower unit etc.

Thanks.

OMC, meaning Evinrude/Johnson, have hostorically been poor during that time. This is not to say that that particular motor is, but historically OMC has been VERY dependable, then went through a stint of very unreliable motors, within which 1993 falls.

those motors are ok,not the best but not the worst either, we work on alot of them, be wary of the oil injection if you plan in using it, as far as them having problems during that time period it wasn't all of their motors, the crossflow v4 motors were and still are indestructable and easy to work on

I've been running a 1994 model for the last 9 years. It's got about 800hrs on it and I can't complain. The Optical Something (like a crank trigger) had to be replaced. Guess it's a common problem and the replacements aren't as failure prone. Since then it lights off when I touch the key. Smokes like Chong. Sounds like an old Stihl but gets me where I want to go AND BACK at 3800rpm when ever I ask.

I have a 1991 Johnson 175 V6 with the VRO oil injection system.

I got this on a Grady 19 ft last Fall, I am the 3rd owner.

Well, after nearly $2K of repairs, I think it works OK now. Strong and powerful at speed.

Serviced:

*New lower unit guts (was leaking water from old fishing line wrapkooky.gif)

*New VRO pump, was burning way too much oil and fouled plugsfrown.gif

Prior to the boat purchase I had the engine checked for compression, all well with factory specs.

So, even though I thought I was in good shape with motor, you never know what your going to get until you run it a half dozen times.

A 93 E150 is not a problem yr, I don't consider the VRO system to be a problem and neither do experts I read. The reason most people convert to premix is the ungodly pump cost, I'd do the same too.

The ficht models were a problem early on and I would avoid those myself but a big V6 looper with optical ignition is a good engine.

I have a 94 J150.

I would add, get the factory service manual either off fleabay or kencookdotcom and do the work yourself, if you replace the power pack go with the CDI unit, then the ignition can be timed without a factory black box analyser.

I'm not a mechanic, I'm a cook and if I can do it...cwm33.gif

blah blah blah...