Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zipdaman12

Braid to leader question

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have been tying my braid to my leader with an alberto knot and it seems to be working well for me. Does anyone else do it this way, and if so, how often do you cut and retie? ever?

Jack

I use a Bimini Twist in the braid and then Yucatan or Bristol knot found this goes through the guides better than anything else I tried.

I re-rig about every 5th trip if the knots look good.

I also use zap a gap on the knots.

I have been tying braid direct to a mono or fluoro leader with a J-knot for 3 years now & have not had 1 problem. I only retie when it gets too short after retying at the snap due to abrasion or toothy critters. I always had an issue with the uni to uni & I am sure it was my crummmy knot tying since so many others use it with success.

When I first read your post I gave a quick response to what I used blah! blah!

But this is so important if you use braid so some sort of connection is necessary and one you feel confident in and tying is critical.

Do experiment you will know when you come up with the right answer??

One little topic that was not covered was leader length. Don't make the leader longer than 8ft don't hold me to that!

What you want to make sure of is that all of the knots are off the spool and in front of your casting finger when you cast.

I used the alberto and the uni-uni knots when I first switched to braid. They would eventually either break or the leader would need to be replaced. Now I always use a swivel to connect them - it's much easier to do, especially when it's dark or windy and you need a new leader. Plus it allows the lure or bait to avoid spinning your line.

I've had the alberto fail( i know i didn't tie it right) so I've gone back to the 80 lb spro swivel and a larger ring tip top with only the occasional goog click at he tip, but the swivel goes through. Marauder how long a length of doubled line do you have in the bimini loop before the bristol?

View PostPlus it allows the lure or bait to avoid spinning your line.

Do you guys see an issue with Spinning? If I use a swivel hook at the end of the leader, is that enough?