Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
harlycarly

Heading to the Front

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

At last, gonna try my luck in Southern ME later in the week. Planning to fish mostly ocean front and wondering what the kelp /seaweed situation is like? Will be somewhere around OOB. (Don't think that's spot burning since most of mine are pretty soggy.)

If nothing else I'll visit Webhannet B&T in Wells and Saco Bay B&T to drop a little coin and get some local advice.

Weed hasn't been bad at all, and the water's clearing nicely - as long as we just get showers from these next few days it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck - you're going to need it.

Thanks, guys. It is more than just about luck, the fact that I'm motivating myself to even get out and do it is no small victory. Right now I'm just hoping the downpours let up a bit. If not, there's always Gore-tex, right? Got my "meat slingers" ready for the surf, plus a new setup to throw some plugs, sluggos, etc. I'm like a kid who is too excited to be discouraged.

HarlyCarly

It's like they always say, A bad day casting and better than a good day at work wink.gif

Fish away and love every second of it... Worst case scenario your hanging out at the ocean chilling for a few hours! smile.gif

View Postthursday and friday...

I've been watching that and planning accordingly. Here's hoping!

View PostHarlyCarly

It's like they always say, A bad day casting and better than a good day at work wink.gif

Fish away and love every second of it... Worst case scenario your hanging out at the ocean chilling for a few hours! smile.gif

My sentiments exactly, Will. Somehow I think that the salt air, ocean mist, and sound of the surf will do me a world of good. Of course I'm not going to mind that sound of the drag going out on my reel either, should that happen wink.gif .

Best of luck. Wish it was in my cards to making a trip to the ocean. Maybe a little later in the season.

Here's to a good trip for ya! beers.gif

Thanx, Kurt. Definitely had to rearrange the cards to do it, but looks like it will happen. If nothing, I'll get rained on in a different place.

Fishing is picking up again after the last rains. Using big crab patterns has been consistant.Bluefish have arrived so you should find some topwater action.

Well, I got back today. Fished Thurs nite 2.5 + hours on each side of the turning high tide. Nada. Fished turning tide again on Friday late morning / early afternoon in a marsh , tossing plugs and even worms. Caught a big fat eel that escaped before I could make him bait. Exhausted, I went out again last night in the surf at around 10 pm and caught a fat 24 incher under the full moon at precisely high tide. THis could well be a poor trip for many, but I had a blast and was thrilled to bring home a fresh fish for the grill (so was my wife when I showed up with it). Stocked up on plugs and lures visiting area shops. Went to Dick's in Portsmouth (I had a gift card and needed new line) and was pleasantly surprised to meet a really decent salesclerk that is an avid striper fisherman. He was friendly, personable and a treat to talk with. Look up "RJ" if you're there. Visted Webhannet in Wells. Nice looking young ladies were very helpful and seemed to know their stuff. Went to Saco Bay for more shopping. The young guy that works there flipped when he saw the "sks special" plug I had gotten at the spring fling at Renegade's. It now actually has hooks on it, Scott, but haven't fished it just yet. I'm waiting till the space rays tell me it is time. cwm13.gif

I just tallied it up and I have had about 14 hours sleep since 6:30 AM Tuesday and it is now 6:30 PM Saturday. I think I'll sleep well tonight.

I don't care what anybody says, I had a blast. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

cwm33.gifcwm33.gifcwm33.gif

View PostNice report. Got any pics?

Not really. That is I have 2 so so pics on my newfangled digital camera. Unfortunately, I'm a doughhead and haven't learned how to transfer, print, post, etc. Gotta figure it out one of these days, just haven't done it yet. If I could only locate the *********. confused.gif

View Post...catching is just the icing on the cake

In my case, that is surely the truth. But damn, it sure was beautiful out there all alone. The water was relatively calm, moon bright enough that I wasn't stumbling all over. Serenity I think they call it. wink.gif

Tonite I grilled 2 beautiful filets with fresh herbs, tomato, cilantro and lime. Out of this world good, and there is even a little left over for a couple fish tacos. Wife was thrilled that I didn't catch and release this time.

Some people would probably think I'm nuts, all that effort for 1 slot fish. Then again, I don't play golf.