Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Enoch

Recommendations for a TOG rod

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

I was looking at getting a tog rod in addition to my st. croix 76mhf muskie rod

I was looking at a mod-fast action rod with good tip flexibility.

nothing hi-modulus.

I want to try for a spinning rod. But you can recommend a conventional, that is what I'm used to.

G.loomis bucara?

honey Lami custom?

Any rod builders feel free to chime in... JPR paul ...etc.

THANK YOU biggrin.gif

These two are lamiglas blanks and many montauk captains are now using these as they are great with braids. The lighter one for 8oz+- a couple for fluke, lightish wreck fishing.

The heavier one is mainly used with 12oz-16+oz three waying eels and other stuff for bass/fluke. I wouldnt know how to classify them action wise.

Try heading to the ROD BUILDING FORUM here on SOL and call out for Al Goldberg. He gonna send you in the right direction. highfive.gif

CGBT84-1M

7'

6 3/4 oz

$

CGBT84-1MH

7'

20-40

7 3/8 oz

$

JC

Get in touch of Billy 40 - he has done a lot of research on this exact thing, some of which I have witnessed at NERBS gatherings, He tried tobreak one of his experimental Seeker blanks by the "Stoop" test. He loaded a 5 Gal plastic pail with weight and high sticked until the pail -NOT THE ROD- broke. Couple of guys had to help near the end of the pail cause he got tired. Go to the Rod Building Forum and ask him.

View PostFor monster TOG im going mono...

Stick a TOG sticker on it and your golden...

Might I suggest braid for TOG so when you get hung up you can break off at the leader.... Just a thought.. It also helps to really yank them away from sructure/wrecks. One more advantage, you wont get hung up as much because you can be at an exact depth if you please while drifting by structure.

These are COMPOSITE lamiglas blanks. Not easy to break, and if your trying to lift 10# fish onto party boat decks, well that confuses me to begin with.

JC

Enoch, if you want something with mod action, look at the homi lami 1143 that Paul has. That is probably one of the best all purpose rod.

For Togging I was going to have Paul do up a honi lami for me but I went with the st croix musky blank instead. I personally like something a bit stiffer.