Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
temoniprince

plastic vs wood lures

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Hey guys

I would liek to know what is the main differ about plastic and wood popers? And yes i know one is wood and one is plastic lol. Why do people liek 1 vs other? ect.............

I know some of those plastic poppers, the Super Strikes and the Atom blue and whites, get way out there, when casted. I've used 'em both. Store bought and custom woods, and to me they both pop just fine.smile.gif

Plastic lures usually acts the same every time. You buy one off the shelf and you know pretty much what type of action you are going to get. Wood on the other hand can vary in density and act totally different from one lure to the next. You open the package and keep your fingers crossed. That's why it breaks your heart when you lose your favorite wooden lure. You don't know if you can replace it.

To me Plastic is dead. Machine made with no heart or life. Very consistent each and every time the injection mold opens. Runs the exact same from lure to lure. They can be mass produced for very little cost compared to wood. They can be made any size and weight and work great. Not a hell of a lot of negatives. You can buy them for a few buckets at Walmart. You are most likely to be supporting a company from China if you buy these.

Wood lures are living. They are made of a natural material and built by fishermen for fishermen. Good plug builders are craftsmen. They don't just push out a plug. They create a living lure with a personality. Time tested to run true and attract fish into attacking them. Made wire through with the best components available.

Wood is not as consistent as plastic. It can off balance from paint, cup or lip off a little, off center holes and many other things can throw off the lures would be perfect action.

They are mostly bought at local tackle shops in the area the builder lives and fishes. They cost from 12 to 25 bucks as a norm and can go much much higher. When you purchase a hand crafted plug from a local builder you are supporting a fellow fisherman and you local tackle shop and community.

Jay

View PostTo me Plastic is dead. Machine made with no heart or life. Very consistent each and every time the injection mold opens. Runs the exact same from lure to lure. They can be mass produced for very little cost compared to wood. They can be made any size and weight and work great. Not a hell of a lot of negatives. You can buy them for a few buckets at Walmart. You are most likely to be supporting a company from China if you buy these.

Hello Artificial all the Way,

I am sorry that you feel that way about "Plastic" lures. Not all plastic lures are made overseas without passion. I can speak for myself as the designer of Surface Tension lure and the owner of Line Stretcher Tackle Company ... I take great pride in my product ... I have performed every operation from Design- Proto Type - Vendor Selection - Injection Molding - Assembly - Packaging - Shipping.

I do all the fishing shows personally (trade & tackle). I do everything that a "Custom Builder" does (and sometime more) but I have to advertise and compete with the "Big Boys" of the industry for price. I do not sell my products at trade shows in my booth like most of the "Custom" guys do since it is not acceptable for the major manufacturers. I am not looking for sympathy but I find it offensive when people "Crap" on plastic baits.

Keep in mind ... All Wood is Not Grown/Built in this Great Country !!!

Jay,

good post....but I like plastic, relatively inexpensive, consistent, and best of all....catches fishiessmile.gif

View PostTo me Plastic is dead. Machine made with no heart or life. Very consistent each and every time the injection mold opens. Runs the exact same from lure to lure. They can be mass produced for very little cost compared to wood. They can be made any size and weight and work great. Not a hell of a lot of negatives. You can buy them for a few buckets at Walmart. You are most likely to be supporting a company from China if you buy these.

Wood lures are living. They are made of a natural material and built by fishermen for fishermen. Good plug builders are craftsmen. They don't just push out a plug. They create a living lure with a personality. Time tested to run true and attract fish into attacking them. Made wire through with the best components available.

Wood is not as consistent as plastic. It can off balance from paint, cup or lip off a little, off center holes and many other things can throw off the lures would be perfect action.

They are mostly bought at local tackle shops in the area the builder lives and fishes. They cost from 12 to 25 bucks as a norm and can go much much higher. When you purchase a hand crafted plug from a local builder you are supporting a fellow fisherman and you local tackle shop and community.

Jay

Give me a Super Strike Darter, Bottle Plug or Neddle fish anytime over any wood lure Twenty five dollors for a wood lure and it does'nt swim correctly????????,Not me.I want life on the lure not in the lure.

I like plastic. Wood plugs look nice on the shelf, but if you have 5 identical wood plugs I guarantee they all swim a little differently. The effect it has on hooking up is probably negligible, but plugs are made to attract anglers, not fish.

i like my plastic surface tension.....haven't fished it too much but have caught lots of fish on it, blues and stripers.

i also like my gibbs danny plugs, they have a great wobble to them. i caught my first striper on a gibbs bottle swimmer in mackerel color.

that said...there is a time for wooden lures and a time for plastics. everyone should have some of each in their bag. when wood wont work, sometimes plastic will or vice-versa, but then there are times when wood AND plastic wont work. oh well.

I like wood as much as the next guy, but I spend this weekend picking bass out of a big school of bruiser blues that would have destroyed any wooden darter- the superstrike I was using is now chewed to hell but functionally still perfect.

I think wood plug makers are craftsmen as well as artists but they also preserve a tradition of "american quality" that should be appreciated and about varying plugs....Most makers including myself guarantee the products they make , so if you buy a "dud" contact the maker and i bet they make good on it , try getting service from china.Plastic has a purpose and takes effort as well like the gentlemen who make surface tension lures stated ,btw those plugs are fish catchers for sure! but I think wood plugs made in america should have a special place the minds and plug bags of n.east fishermen especially ,keep in mind most plug makers are not getting rich from turning wood and often sacrifice family and fishing time to present a high quality item to the public. But there are many high quality mass produced plastics that just plain "do the job" . so its simply a matter of preference.

View PostPlastic does not mean cheep. Every guy in my club has plastic in their bag at all times. Guys in my club that make customs carry plastic because they work.

I have never met any custom plug maker who didn't have just as much plastic in there bag as wood.

Jay

Ignorance is bliss...

JC