Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nowildwood

Okuma AL55

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

The two line roller bearings were frozen. When I removed them they exploded. Does anybody know how much replacement bearings will cost and can I get them at any basic reel repair shop or do I need to order them direct from Okuma.

You can probably get the replacements from Boca bearing or VBX bearings. You will have to know the dimensions, of the bearing. The outside diameter or OD, the inside diameter, and the height of the bearing. A digital caliper helps with this needed info.

Standard bearings are not expensive, so it won't break the bank. Getting the bearing dimensions might be a hassle. I don't know why they don't put this info on the schematics.

Anyhow, I would do a search for Okuma reel repair online. The best to ya!smile.gif

Thanks for the response. I don't have a caliper so Boca isn't an option. I do have the part number. I'll call Okuma which I was trying to avoid. I think they mark their parts up a lot in an effort to get you to discard your old reel and buy a new one. I only paid about $70 for the reel about seven years ago. Other than these two bearings the reel is mechanically sound. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again.

I called Okuma at 800-466-5862 and got through to parts right away. Much to my surprise two bearings, a drag knob and shipping totaled $14.75 and are supposed to go out tomorrow morning. Service was excellent. Overall the reel has held up well. The bearings seized from my own failure to do routine maintenance. The lightweight aluminum body makes it a joy to plug with on a 9' Tica UEHA. In the meantime I used the broken reel to justify the acquisition of a Penn 560 Slammer. All is well in my world now.highfive.gif

Sounds like a good deal. What model Okuma? The Alumina 55? IMO, their reels aren't too shabby. Not all models, but some are very good.

I've had good experiences with the Inspira, Alumina, Epixor, Eclipse and a big heavy Aveon. The only one I didn't care for was the Avenger.

smile.gif

I have the Alumina AL55 and AL45 and an Epixor EB65. My son and I have used the Aluminas hard for seven years. The Epixor not so much. Their performance has been very good and for the price I don't cringe when he lays them on the rocks to unhook a fish. Since they don't look so pretty now I started some bad habits myself.