Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gray gables

roofing prices

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

View Posti haven't been that cheap on my per square price in YEARS. i've been at 125-140 a square for two years

He is talking about buying just the shingles wholesale

I almost passed out when I saw shingles in HD for 25.00 + a bundle. I paid about 10 4 years ago for 10 squares worth when I did half of my roof.

I heard they went up of course when oil went to 150 + a barrel. Oil fell alot recently, wondering why roofing didn't...........I am glad I saved a bunch I had I need to re do my shed. Sounds like they went up some more if they are 86.00 a square. Turns out my other half of the roof may need an upgrade sooner than later. Not looking forward to it. That side isn't as big though......

I was just in HD getting some plywood to make some heavy shelving. Paid 16 for 3/4 inch. I remember paying over 25 before. Anybody know if lumber is down or have they swithced to lesser quality stuff and selling it cheaper?

Not to hijack, but to answer Eric's question.

Oil went up, cost them more to make the shingles. Now oil has gone down. Ya think they are gonna lower the price before they sell all the stuff they just made? No way.

On lumber prices.... since demand has gone down with the recession, so have prices. We just got 19 precut 2 x 4's and two 2 x 4 x 12" hem-fir today. It was $40 something dollars. Would have ben $60.00 something not long ago.

a square is 10x10 area or 100 sqr ft,one bundle of shingle covers 33 sqr ft or 3 bundles per sqr,as for shingles being so expensive well you can thank the stimlus package for that,all that money going to road projects has increased the demand for petroluem products including shingles,matt

View PostNot to hijack, but to answer Eric's question.

Oil went up, cost them more to make the shingles. Now oil has gone down. Ya think they are gonna lower the price before they sell all the stuff they just made? No way.

On lumber prices.... since demand has gone down with the recession, so have prices. We just got 19 precut 2 x 4's and two 2 x 4 x 12" hem-fir today. It was $40 something dollars. Would have ben $60.00 something not long ago.

Yeah, prices have been high on shingles for a couple years here in So. Vermont. Funny how when oil spikes shingle prices go up but dont ever come down when crude prices do.

Another reason for higher prices is the newer style architecurals have more finished product per shingle due to the overlay than the old straight style 3 tabs.