Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Will K

Tail for Deadly Dick

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Ok Ok... I know its not a "true" handbuild bottom to top... But here's a question for you guys who clearly know a LOT more about lure craft than I do!

I was thinking about putting a 5/0 or slightly larger Octapus hook on a couple deadly dicks - after tieing them up like bucktails.

Any of you experiment with this at all? Would this negatively impact the lure's action??

Thanks for any ideas!

I usually put a dressed siwash or undressed siwash on my DD and it does not affect the action.I would suggest trying out your combos and seeing if it works for yourself as you can always count on surprises which can sometimes be good and other times not.

I use a single 8/0 hook with a plastic tail. I make my own but Mr. Twisters 3 to 5" grub will work just fine. You can do anything with them from casting to drifting and they still wiggle nice and pick up fish.

Sand eels are the bait of choice right now since the Sound is full of them. DD pretty much hits that mark on the head. I've been doing well with any kind of thin silver metals from in shallows to over deep wrecks. Great pattern right now. The plastic tails lets me work them much slower then with out.

Good luck

Jay